A couple of quick pre-sale questions

Discussion in 'Pre-Sales Questions' started by ujohnc00, Jun 30, 2004.

1. ujohnc00

ujohnc00 Guest

Hello there.

I am ready to buy the pro version, but first had three questions:

(1) If I install the pro version on my development server (say www.test.com/amember), could the application easily be migrated over to the client's server (say www.live.com/amember) when the site is to go live?

(2) Can the aMember subdirectory be renamed (www.live.com/secured)?

(3) On the "Additional Fields: Edit" screen, what is the true difference between "Sql" and "Common field" for the "Field Type"? What disadvantages are there to using the Sql choice? I would think that it would be able to query the data more effectively if the field was added to the table structure.

Thanks for your time,
    Chris
  2. alex

alex aMember Pro Customer Staff Member

1) yes
    2) yes
    3) SQL has no disadvantages, but it cannot be used with checkbox fields
  3. ujohnc00

ujohnc00 Guest

Thanks for the replies Alex.

(1) Ok, but I thought I read somewhere that aMember installation is for one domain only, so how can it be transferred between mysite.com/amember and myclientssite.com/amember?

(2) To do this, do I just rename /amember to /secured, or are there config files that need modification to accomplish this?

(3) Where are "Common field" stored and how can these fields be queried?

Thanks again Alex. After I understand the answers to these questions, I will be ready to buy aMember Pro.

-Chris
  4. alex

1) It is not a problem to send you a free temporary license key for any domain. Just ask support.

2) Just rename during installation. If it is already installed, rename and change URLs at aMember CP -> Setup.

3) There is a "data" field in members table. All "common" fields stored in this field in serialized form. SQL fields stored as separate MySQL table fields, of course it works lot faster for search.
  5. ujohnc00

ujohnc00 Guest

Thanks Alex.

(1) Ok.

(2) That's easy.

(3) How can the serialized data fields be queried?

I am now ready to buy aMember Pro. I guess the best way is to do it on this site.

Thanks for the help.
    -Chris
  6. ujohnc00

ujohnc00 Guest

Hi Alex.

I am trying to purchase aMember Pro right now, but under Domain Name, I am unsure of what to enter. Should I enter the domain name on which the development will take place for now, or should I enter the domain name of the site on which aMember will reside when it goes live?

Also, I guess I need that "free temporary license key" now.

Thanks again.
  7. alex

Why do you need this? In fact, there is no easy way to do it, aMember makes text search by all field, then filters records in PHP code. Not effective for search, but search is not always necessary.

I can say more - there is no other ways ;)
  8. alex

Just enter your permanent domain name. After order, ask for temporary license key at https://www.cgi-central.net/support/
  9. ujohnc00

ujohnc00 Guest

Thanks Alex.

Once my client buys his domain name today, I will buy aMember.

FYI, on the features page, these links are broken:
    http://www.cgi-central.net/scripts/amember/docs/protection_plugins/htpasswd_sec.htm
    http://www.cgi-central.net/scripts/amember/docs/protection_plugins/htpasswd.htm
    http://www.cgi-central.net/scripts/amember/docs/protection_plugins/php_include.htm

Also, if I will accept credit card payments through authorize.net for example, will all of the credit card info be entered using their SSL certificate, or should I acquire my own SSL certificate?

-Chris
  10. alex

thank you for broken link info.

regarding SSL - if you need recurring billing, then you need to use authorize_aim plugin, then info will be asked on your site, and then you need SSL ceritificate - your own or shared one provided by hosting provider.
    If you don't need recurring billing, you don't need certificate.