403 and 404 errors

Discussion in 'Installation' started by cappersfinest, Mar 13, 2013.

1. cappersfinest

cappersfinest New Member

I tried to install aMember, but could not because I would always run into a 403 forbidden error when I try to navigate to amember/setup (I've actually changed the name of the folder to members, so I tried to navigate to members/setup)

So I asked to have aMember install the stuff for me, and they did and everything was swell. Well during a recent site update, it seems as if the .htaccess files were disrupted and stuff went crazy. I tried to log into the admin backend, but I received an error saying that it was not found. I tried replacing the .htaccess file of /member but now I get the same 403 error as I did before I installed it.

Please help... I've searched this form and it seems like many users receive this same 403 error. I do realize that it has to do with certain Apache configuration of my host, but that's not something I can readily change. Since aMember was able to install the stuff for me, I know this can be fixed on the user-end. However, I have found no answers on the forums. All I see are admins telling users to submit a ticket for this problem to be fixed. I do not wish to pay $40 for a reinstallation of aMember.
  2. thehpmc

thehpmc Member

You might need to submit a ticket because on a forum we can only guess what is happening whereas aMember support staff can have access to installation and be able to interpret the various error logs.

They can also add diagnostic scripts if necessary - we cannot, through a forum, do any of this.

With regards to 403 & 404 errors. They are generic error codes and just because another person receives a similar error code the cause could be totally different.