2 sites, one WP blog?

Discussion in 'Pre-Sales Questions' started by nigp, Oct 13, 2010.

1. nigp

nigp aMember Pro Customer

It seems to me that it would be possible to have two completely independent membership areas in one WordPress blog using aMember to control login to relevant areas and hiding content using something like amProtect.

Is this, in fact, possible? I realize they would have the same blog template, but apart from that, I don't see any other problems, do you??

Thanks
  2. davidm1

davidm1 aMember User & Partner

Can you explain what you want to do?

amprotect will allow you to set certain categories, pages, posts to only be viewable by certain amember members/levels.

David
  3. nigp

It's just a thought, but, I could have two separate login pages using aMember going to two different welcome pages on WordPress. By assigning certain pages to be viewed only by certain membership 'levels' (in effect, different membership schemes entirely), it would, effectively, be two membership areas in one WordPress installation, wouldn't it?
    I see it as being no different to having different types of memberships (say, free, basic and premium) only seeing certain pages relevant to them.
    Or, like I said, am I missing something here?
    Apologies for the delay in replying, but I'm not getting notifications of replies here for some reason.
  4. davidm1

The problem is that amember doesnt know what membership the user has till after they login- so which design to show?

David
  5. nigp

Again, apologies...but I've got notifications turned on and nothing happens, plus I've been busy...
    Anyway, I'm not entirely clear on your answer. If amember doesn't know where to send people, that seems strange.
    Surely the whole point is to allow members to access certain areas. And, if amProtect works by allocating certain posts to certain aMember products, doesn't that deal with the directing to different areas?
    Not sure what you mean by 'which design to show'??
    If different posts in WP are for different aMember products then they see whatever the overall design is for WP, which wouldn't matter at all, as they wouldn't even know that other membership areas existed...??
  6. davidm1

After logging in, amember will send them to the proper content, and you could have custom design for each of these- my point was what do you show people on the login page before they login- you need a default design too.

David
  7. nigp

I would have thought just a bog-standard 'Members' Login Page' no specifics, just a ''Login here' message, with different pages directing the different members to that page...