Account Credit

Discussion in 'Payments processing' started by arthy, Aug 6, 2009.

1. arthy

arthy aMember Pro Customer

A very much needed feature by Amember i believe.

One very irritating problem is the fact that admins are not able to credit their users with extra days. since e.g. paypal will be handling the subscription terms fully.

However there is a work around on this, if amember wants to do something about this. i believe this would be VERY ideal for amember users, since its a daily issue, and having users to cancel and then resubscribe is bad customer services and long process.

My idea is to:
    create an option within amember to allow admins to add extra an extra package (dublicate of existing active subscription) to a specific account while they have an active subscription how ever these extra days will not be active before the existing subscription get cancelled. So once the existing subscription cancel, it will trigger the new package to go active and expire on the given date.

And so the admin can inform the user: Your account have been credit with X number of days, the credit will be applied at the end of your billing cycle.

I believe this should be a standard feature within amember, as its a much needed feature for the issue. and a good alternative way of resolving user credits.
  2. davidm1

davidm1 aMember User & Partner

So if the member cancels, they get an extra XX days after the expiration date of their subscription?

Can you explain this a little more? Whyd you want to do this?

David
  3. arthy

this is needed for the following reason

1. if my site had a downtime of 2 days, and i want to credit that to users.

2. users sometime signup twice and then first they released it once payment has gone through, instead of doing a refund, i can add another month to their account.

3. if i do some form of promotion or competition where winner gets 14 days more usage.

4. if i want to be good and credit a user some extra days.

5. if mr. x had signed up for my package for 4 months now, and are going on holiday and wants to freeze his account until he comes back 2 weeks later, i can credit them to him, instead of he has to cancel. or actually loose out due to days have already paid for.

and many more. this feature is indeed needed i believe, since we got no control over paypal subscriptions.
  4. davidm1

davidm1 aMember User & Partner

Is this paypal with a subscription? You cant add days/time to the account. Thats controlled by their payment with paypal.

If you where using a system where you bill locally, i could see doing this stuff. But most of it can be done more efficiently manually.

eg

Use the mass add subscription to add the additional product to the users.

Unless you have more than a few winners, seems easier just to add the time to the account manually. (this wont work with paypal- since time of renewal is locked into their system)

This I understand, but it may cause people to "game" the system, where they leave and come back to get more stuff without having to pay for it.

I understand what you are saying, just having a hard time justifying the cost to develop it.

BTW Larry, developed a coupon plugin that can give a coupon to the member as a reward- maybe this is a short term solution?

David
  5. arthy

All what u are mentioning is additional product added to the account.

but i dont have additional product i have 1 package only.

and that package is for 30 days recurring billing, and i want to credit this user with 15 days extra for the above reasons i gave u, at the end of his billing cycle (when he cancel).

this is not possible with the current system.

However it can be possible if there is a system like once existing subscription cancelled active new package with 15 days usage. thats all. this is no hard coding.

u cant add new package while existing package is active as both products are the same.

this will be an alternative way of controlling subscriptions since paypal subscription is not able to modify.
  6. jackgordon

jackgordon Member

Someone correct me if I am wrong....

But maybe this could be easily accomplished by extending the current period's expiration date?

Technically, you would be adding time to the subscription in the current period, instead of at the end. But that is really the much more useful benefit, as when the subscription ends, the customer may not even care anymore (i.e. they are the ones that canceled it)

What I don't know is how the system would treat the next period. That could be the downfall of this idea...
  7. arthy

well i have members that need to be credited,and its a hassl they have to cancel get their redit few days and then resubscribe again.

atleast this way i can say, your credit will be applied at the end of your billing cycle. so my part is done, then its upto them when to cancel, to make up the credit.

what do u mean by current date ?

i can do all this manually, but its a hassle to remember when a user cancel, whether he or she needsextra days, its alot easier i it was automated, so i just apply few days, and it ill start automatically once existing expire.

i could call this package "Extra days". and send an automated mail when package comes active saying; since your package has expired, we have credited all your extra days to your existing account, please make use of them.

but an u elaborate on the current date, cause i dont know what mean. e.g. an exampl.