Upgrade to PHP 5.3.0 results in Deprecated code errors!

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by ultra, Jul 24, 2009.

1. ultra

ultra aMember Pro Customer

We upgraded our PHP version from 5.1.6 to 5.3.0 and the amember login (index.php) page now shows these errors:

Code:
    Deprecated: Assigning the return value of new by reference is deprecated in /home/.../html/member.php on line 101

Deprecated: Assigning the return value of new by reference is deprecated in /home/.../html/member.php on line 385

Deprecated: Assigning the return value of new by reference is deprecated in /home/.../html/common.inc.php on line 402

Deprecated: Assigning the return value of new by reference is deprecated in /home/.../html/common.inc.php on line 434

Deprecated: Assigning the return value of new by reference is deprecated in /home/.../html/common.inc.php on line 464

Deprecated: Assigning the return value of new by reference is deprecated in /home/.../html/common.inc.php on line 485

Deprecated: Assigning the return value of new by reference is deprecated in /home/.../html/common.inc.php on line 505

Deprecated: Assigning the return value of new by reference is deprecated in /home/.../html/common.inc.php on line 522

Deprecated: Assigning the return value of new by reference is deprecated in /home/.../html/common.inc.php on line 559

Deprecated: Assigning the return value of new by reference is deprecated in /home/.../html/common.inc.php on line 616

Deprecated: Assigning the return value of new by reference is deprecated in /home/.../html/common.inc.php on line 950

Deprecated: Assigning the return value of new by reference is deprecated in /home/.../html/common.inc.php on line 964

Deprecated: Assigning the return value of new by reference is deprecated in /home/.../html/common.inc.php on line 976

Deprecated: Assigning the return value of new by reference is deprecated in /home/.../html/common.inc.php on line 989

Deprecated: Assigning the return value of new by reference is deprecated in /home/.../html/common.inc.php on line 1000

Deprecated: Assigning the return value of new by reference is deprecated in /home/.../html/common.inc.php on line 1284

Deprecated: Function set_magic_quotes_runtime() is deprecated in /home/.../html/common.inc.php on line 24

Deprecated: Assigning the return value of new by reference is deprecated in /home/.../html/member.inc.php on line 130

Deprecated: Assigning the return value of new by reference is deprecated in /home/.../html/member.inc.php on line 138

Deprecated: Assigning the return value of new by reference is deprecated in /home/.../html/member.inc.php on line 174

Deprecated: Assigning the return value of new by reference is deprecated in /home/.../html/member.inc.php on line 228

Deprecated: Assigning the return value of new by reference is deprecated in /home/.../html/member.inc.php on line 315

Deprecated: Assigning the return value of new by reference is deprecated in /home/.../html/member.inc.php on line 387

Deprecated: Assigning the return value of new by reference is deprecated in /home/.../html/member.inc.php on line 394

Deprecated: Assigning the return value of new by reference is deprecated in /home/.../html/member.inc.php on line 437

Deprecated: Assigning the return value of new by reference is deprecated in /home/.../html/member.inc.php on line 470

Deprecated: Assigning the return value of new by reference is deprecated in /home/.../html/member.inc.php on line 478

Deprecated: Assigning the return value of new by reference is deprecated in /home/.../html/member.inc.php on line 521

Deprecated: Assigning the return value of new by reference is deprecated in /home/.../html/product.inc.php on line 474

Deprecated: Assigning the return value of new by reference is deprecated in /home/.../html/product.inc.php on line 483

Deprecated: Assigning the return value of new by reference is deprecated in /home/.../html/plugins/db/mysql/mysql.inc.php on line 221

Is amember using old code? How can we fix this?
  2. deafdavid

deafdavid Member

Send a ticket to aMember Help Desk ASAP. They'll check out for you.
  3. skippybosco

skippybosco CGI-Central Partner Staff Member

Please do check back and let us know how this turns out.
  4. powerkeys

powerkeys Member

Yes, definitely let us know, as I'm using 5.2.9 and will eventually upgrade.
  5. ultra

I added 2 support tickets (one for this issue, another regarding the request for the API for our AJAX login system), but no answer at all!

This is getting critical. Or we get support, or we claim our money back :)
  6. skippybosco

You opened it over a weekend when support is not working so you should hear a response today I suspect.

Just to be fair as far as demanding your money back.. the version of PHP you installed did just come out on June 29, 2009.. personally I think at least 30 days to react to it is appropriate :)
  7. ultra

No worries we got a reply back now.
  8. thehpmc

thehpmc Member

Can you post details of that response - just in case!!
  9. skippybosco

Following back up on this.. what turned out to be the issue?
  10. jenolan

jenolan aMember Coder

aMember is php 4 based

Things change in php 5.1 5.2

More things changed in php 5.3

Assuming you are running any normal host .. load a php.ini and load php 4

Larry
  11. skippybosco

@jenolan: I've had no problems with PHP 5.2 and below without any need for custom php.ini or php 4. 5.3 is the first time I've heard of problems. Done a bit of testing myself and there are a few main functions that were depreciated that is causing aMember a bit of grief.

While I can certainly code around them for my clients that upgrade (or their hosts upgrade without giving them an option) given the desire for many to stay current with their software for security and support reasons, I suspect this will become a bigger issue in the near future.

IMO getting a core code resolution that does not involve running a backdated PHP would be ideal.
  12. jenolan

jenolan aMember Coder

I am running totally PHP 5.2 .. as you say without issues.

What you say is correct about an update being needed, but my point is that software coded for PHP 4 is well .. PHP4 :cool:

Have not chatted to Alex for a while the new version of aMember seems to have become lost. I was looking forward to seeing how they plugged it all together with the Zend framework.

Larry
  13. skippybosco

@Ultra: Any more info on where this issue stands from your work with support?

@Alex: Starting to see more clients make moves towards PHP 5.3, like to get ahead of this if possible to prevent confusion/delays in projects.
  14. skippybosco

fyi, for those running into this.. a short term solution is to edit your PHP.INI to:

display_errors = Off