Refresh it Alex...

Discussion in 'Customization & add-ons' started by microhellas, Nov 21, 2008.

?

Do you believe that a Licensing plugin should be helpfull?

1. Great idea

3 vote(s)
    75.0%
  2. Yes

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Interesting

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. Useless

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. I don't know

1 vote(s)
    25.0%
  1. microhellas

microhellas New Member

After 5 years of my first order and having spent lot of momeny for custom plugins, I believe that my opinion is mature enought to be publish in public. Maybe it should be shown as negative, but its coming out of my heart with friendly thoughst.
    Before 5 years and for a long time aMember was the 1st one script in the category combinig powerful features with a superior support. But time is passing fast, new technologies everydays appearing in the market, members need always more and more new features.
    In this point I believe that aMember lost the train. Even simple addons (eg a HTML editor for mailing), or more complicated addons (eg a license system) seems to be out of any future release.
    The main reason that push me to make this post, is because I just bought an addon for another (totally different) script. I'm talking for a very nice licensing addon for WHMSC which is targeting to ...hosting providers. Imagine, that they added it even for a few of their members, just because they asked for it. What about aMember? A script which is targeting to member manipulation, which means that many users bought it as a way to keep truck of their selling software. Alex, has the knowledge to do it in a snap, as he has it also for his own use. Why don't share it (I'm not meaning for free)?
    This is the 1st part. I don't like to push things and hope that everybody (especially Alex), can understand that I'm not posting it with bad thoughts. Just feeling sad as I can't use any of my 2 licenses the way that I want to use.

Thank you
    Chris
  2. skippybosco

skippybosco CGI-Central Partner Staff Member

Chris,

Have you communicated with Alex about having your feature built? If it seems unique to you, you would obviously need to fund it (reasonable rates). If it seems to be of a wider audience you may find that he agrees and devs it for inclusion in a future public release.
  3. microhellas

microhellas New Member

Unique?? My dear friend, Alex knows better than all, how many users he has, using aMembers for selling scripts. I've bought many-many scripts (on different categories) and I seen 50% of these sites using aMember. Even the fact that WHMCS has sold (as I can understand reading their forums), around 100 licenses of their addon, proves that the market is widelly open for it. To not mention PHP Auidt (I've also bought it) who have sold 4,000+ licenses.

And yes, I've asked for custom work (Apr 30, 2007) as I've did more than 20 times with Alex. I've ordered lots of custom plugins. Unfortunatelly Alexander (not Alex) who replied, he told me that they don't have any more free time for custom plugins (Ticket: BMY-98769-796).

And finally, a notice to avoid confusion. I post it in Testimonials, not in suggestions. After spending around $1,000 for PHPAudit (Lot of feautures, poor documentation), Iono (Less features, great documentation), finally I was able to use very easy WHMCS licensing addon, just by changing 2 variables in their sample file. The problem is that I've a huge script in my site focusing to hosting providers, while I just needed a simple script for licensing a single script.

Chris
  4. alex

alex aMember Pro Customer Staff Member

Chris,
    we are working hard on aMember five. It is full rewrite of aMember code, so releasing new serious features for aMember 3 is just not reasonable.
    Believe me, our train is in good condition fully packed with PHP5, AJAX and new ideas and by spring 2009 you will be able to touch it.

I am keeping in mind licensing needs, for example I hope aMember5 will be able to work on aMember.com without any modifications, so I hope it will also work
    for your website.