Bitpay plugin...what the heck?

Discussion in 'Payments processing' started by swintec, Sep 19, 2016.

1. swintec

swintec aMember Pro Customer

I just updated to amember 5.1.5 which included a new and updated bitpay plugin that utilizes the newer API functionality as well as recurring billing. Great!

I am trying to configure this thing now and I can not believe how unclear the instructions are. The first go failed and support gave me a new (newer?) version of the plugin. I am now playing with it and seeing the same problems with unclear instructions. At this point, so I do not feel like i am going completely crazy I would like to get it working without bothering support and hopefully I am just completely over looking the obvious. Anyone else get this update working? Problems with the instructions:

- Generate Key Pair basing on passhrase
    what passphrase? from where? do i make it up randomly? Anything I enter the script just shows the "loading" image at the top.

- Visit dashboard of BitPay account's page and create a new pairing code.

okay i did this. Literally all bitpay asks for in this step is a "Token label" and then it will assign a pairing code. Great!
    - Provide pairing code for token value generation
    I put the above pairing code into the amember set up screen for bitpay.
    - Generate token value
    I hit generate and amember complains that I must enter a passphrase...okay..passphrase from what? there is no passphrase on the bitpay side. do i make it up randomly? Use the token label (i tried no dice).

The log is simply full of "The plugin [bitpay] is not configured, directAction failed"

Exception Am_Exception_Configuration
    DirectController->__call [ library/Am/Mvc/Controller.php : 107 ]
    Am_Mvc_Controller->dispatch [ library/Zend/Controller/Dispatcher/Standard.php : 307 ]
    Zend_Controller_Dispatcher_Standard->dispatch [ library/Zend/Controller/Front.php : 956 ]
    Zend_Controller_Front->dispatch [ library/Am/App.php : 2048 ]
    Am_App->run [ index.php : 92 ]
  2. alexander

alexander Administrator Staff Member

Brad,
    Have you tested plugin that was sent by Andrey yesterday?
    It seems you still has old plugin version installed. I agree instructions in that plugin were not obvious at all.
    To compare this, here is screenshot of latest plugin's configuration screen.
    bitpay.png
  3. swintec

Yes, at least i thought it did...did not look like your screenshot after updating though so it is possible I did not put the bitpay.php in the right folder (rereading his instructions there is some confusion there). the plugin folder itself also has a bitpay.php script inside of it. Will try again...
  4. swintec

These are instructions sent by Andrey:

Unzip bitpay.zip into /application/default/plugins/payment/
    Put in same folder bitpay.php

It will:
    ├── bitpay
    │ └── Bitpay
    ├── bitpay.php

Trying to follow along, I have in the folder /application/default/plugins/payment/bitpay: Another folder called "Bitpay" all scripts and other folders contained in it.

But also in folder /application/default/plugins/payment/bitpay I have just the one script called "bitpay.php"

I tried bitpay.php inside folder "Bitpay" but this also does not work.

I just keep having the same config screen displayed from the "old" version.
  5. swintec

Okay Andrey from support got me going. Seems I misunderstood the initial instructions when it came to script placement in certain directories.

Anyways, can anyone share how the new bitpay plugin works for subscription payments? Does amember send email out at CRON run time with a link for an invoice when a monthly rebill is supposed to happen or does bitpay handle that? Does account simply expire if the invoice is not paid by the final subscription day? I am not entirely sold on the idea of bitpay / bitcoins handling subscriptions correctly so I am just curious how the whole process works.
  6. caesar

caesar aMember Pro Developer Staff Member

Bitcoin architecture does not allow to handle true recurring subscription unlike credit cards.
    So it is mostly workaround than actual recurring subscription.

Bitpay handle it on its own. Bitpay send user email with payment link. In case of user pay then Bitpay notify aMember and aMember activate next access period. Otherwise user account expire.

Best Regards.