Integrating the signup form into a web template (.dwt)

Discussion in 'Templates customization' started by microlinx, Apr 18, 2013.

1. microlinx

microlinx aMember Pro Customer

I am moving away from Wordpress, so I now need to integrate the signup and login forms directly into my html site page structure.

As a guess, I'd say I'd have to bring layout.phtml into my web editor (expression web 4) then strip off or highly modify the style sheet links, then attach my own style sheet, then attach the phtml page to a main site template (.dwt) - does this sound right?

I just need to know all the files involved in doing this correctly or point me to some documentation that shows how to do this. TIA.
  2. thehpmc

thehpmc Member

Why not just create you page as you want including the actual form layouts. Get your desired look and feel - forget aMember for a moment.

Once the look is OK you can add the respective aMember code. This is simply code contained within your page with the wanted INPUTS which are then POSTED to respective aMember scripts.

Bear in mind that I am pretty certain that if the form contains an error the inbuilt forms will display.
  3. gswaim

gswaim CGI-Central Partner

No.

Instead of adding aMember code to a page you are building in a web editor, you should modify the header/footer areas in the aMember file "layout.phtml" You can then customize the aMember CSS file to make the transition from your site's page to aMember page virtually seamless.
    You will find this information in the documentation on this page: http://www.amember.com/docs/Themes_and_Templates

While this looks a little intimidating at first, a lot of this work it to make sure your customized "layouit.phtml" and CSS page do not get overwritten on an aMember upgrade.
  4. thehpmc

thehpmc Member

Grant
    To be honest not 100% certain what microlinx is trying to achieve.

I was thinking that rather than a stand alone signup page, with the same look as his overall site, by saying 'main site template (.dwt)' he was wanting to include it in a Dreamweaver template to be used on multiple pages.
  5. gswaim

gswaim CGI-Central Partner

Yep, that's what I think too. I am suggesting he follow the procedure in the documentation.

When you try to add aMember code to a site webpage it tends to not have a happy ending. There are many more pages in play than just the signup and login pages. With all the "cross links" between aMember pages things get broken pretty quickly.