Assigning User Groups (retroactive)

Discussion in 'Setting-up protection' started by lvtriclub, Mar 23, 2013.

1. lvtriclub

lvtriclub Member

The more I learn this software...it is incredible robust....just a bit of a learning curve. (Props to Grant once again for his help..)

Ok, I was completely stumped on my buddypress install...everything seemed to be good to go but I could not get current member access to the the Event calendar for a booking and the forums. I have a few hairs left but not many.

This is what I figured out. Since I have migrated an old 3.0 membership base to 4.0, and subsequently have standardized the naming for the "products". I.e. Single, Family and Youth. Our memberships are active for 365 days. I looked at my new test profile membership and my User Group was not automatically assigned. Thus, I learned there was a brick for that. So, I have assigned the brick to all three memberships. So, for any new memberships, we should be good to go. BUT, it there an easy/fast way to automatically update all active memberships to the now default group setting regardless of what "product" they had signed up for? Otherwise I would have to go in and manually edit about 300 user profiles.

Thanks in advance for any help. I am getting so close to launching this and between amember 4.0 and my new design, I believe our membership is going to be pretty stoked.

Attached Files:

2. lvtriclub

lvtriclub Member

BTW...I had an idea to export my user to CSV and just export the USER ID and hopefully there was a cell/field for Groups....that was not available.
  3. gswaim

gswaim CGI-Central Partner

Not sure where to start...

You are talking about several different things that are not related and when you add BuddyPress to the mix, it becomes tougher and even more important to read, research, test, etc.

aMember User Groups
    User groups have nothing to do with BuddyPress groups or membership products. It is an optional additional way provided by aMember to group your users. For example, you might want to add all users from "Company X" into the "Company X" group even though they have bought different membership packages. You could then use the built in emailing tool to email specific user groups.

The only time you would add a user group brick to a signup form would be for a special form that would add every person that used the given signup form to the same user group. For example you could build a special signup form for the employees of "Company X" that would add all persons that used the from into the "Company X" user group. You could then email a link to this form to the employees of "Company X" (note that this form could offer multiple membership products to choose from). To add everybody that uses your signup forms to the same user group accomplishes nothing.

Most sites do not implement this feature and IMHO you would be better off to drop it for simplicity sake unless you have some compelling reason to use it.

BuddyPress Groups
    Using BuddyPress Groups with aMember is tricky, but it does work. You need to explicitly follow the instructions provided towards the bottom of the WordPress documentation homepage, found here. I have tested this approach several times and it worked each time. Note the installation process of the newest BuddyPress plugin has changed slightly, but you should be able to follow along by using the existing instructions.

I have no idea. This sounds like you need to go back and read documentation from the WordPress plugins you are using for the Event Calendar and forum.
  4. gswaim

Simply, No. See the other post.
  5. lvtriclub

lvtriclub Member

Thanks again Grant...it seems in my early confusion of trying to setup "groups" for the aMember connection to BuddyPress I had created an aMember group which cause the problem. I deleted that group in aMember and everything worked out ok.
  6. gswaim

Glad you got if worked out!
  7. duncan_m1

duncan_m1 Challenge Media Group LLC

is there an option for tying groups to a specific product? Ie...if I add the product "wholesale" to a user they are added to the "wholesale" group?
  8. caesar

caesar aMember Pro Developer Staff Member

9. itsrich

itsrich Member

Hello all,

Hope you don't mind me asking this here, but how do you even set up user groups in aMember ACP?

I see an option to assign users to "Assign group" in the ***Choose Action*** menu found at the bottom of the "Browse users" page, but I can't find anywhere to even create user groups.

Can someone point me in the right direction please?

Thank you

Regards,

Richard
  10. caesar

caesar aMember Pro Developer Staff Member

You can do it at aMmeber Cp -> Users -> Browse Users, edit any user and you should see 'User Group' option and link 'Edit Groups'
    itsrich likes this.