WP users -> aMember

Discussion in 'aMember Pro v.4' started by cmireles, Feb 28, 2013.

1. cmireles

cmireles New Member

Howdy all, I wanted to get your blessing on the best way to import existing WP users to aMember. I have the whole site setup now with BuddyPress and aMember. Backed up everything and ready to take the plunge with this. What's the best way to proceed? There are 900 users. Doing the csv import to aMember? Or, should I write to the am_users table directly so passwords are intact as I saw in another post?

Next question is, do I need to delete the WP users after import into aMember? A lot of the users within WP have email addresses as usernames which will not work in aMember correct? I thought maybe the best way is to generate username from FirstLast or something on csv import. I just don't want to run into the situation where I have duplicate members in this scenario, one with the email as username and one with my generated username.

Also, I've got mailchimp integrated and have a record setup to auto-subscribe all members. Is this going to be triggered and send out emails to everyone when I do the import?

Thanks! Jon
  2. cmireles

cmireles New Member

Anybody have any suggestions on this? I have 'create WP users on demand' option checked, but it doesn't help in my case since I must import users first because I need to create the user with additional database fields in aMember plus some additional profile info in xprofile in buddypress. On top of this, the usernames in WP are email addresses which are not allowed in aMember. I'm thinking I need to just create the users in aMember and delete them in WP. Then I can rebuild the WP database in aMember and then populate xprofile fields required. How to preserve the password? I guess I could always just generate it and have users 'retrieve password' when first logging in.

Thanks, Jon
  3. gswaim

gswaim CGI-Central Partner

Unfortunately this is the only part of your questions that I can offer help.

With the aMember/MailChimp integration, you can configure it to automatically add aMember users to MailChimp mailing lists based on subscriptions. Nothing in aMember should trigger a MaiChimp mailing. You design and send out mailings from within MailChimp.

I just don't like to give advice unless I have first hand knowledge. What you are asking gets into some tricky areas and I suspect Alexander will end up offering the best advice.