Moving to a new Domain on the same server

Discussion in 'Installation' started by trackbikes, Feb 15, 2013.

1. trackbikes

trackbikes Member

If I move Amember to a new domain on the same server do i just follow the same instructions for moving to a new host?

If I am upgrading to V4 at the same time... is it best to

a) duplicate the install first then upgrade

b) Move and upgrade at the same time

I'll be using 2 licenses to make things easier.. and i'd like to make sure the new install is working ok before finalising the transfer as we have a lot of paying members
  2. davidm1

davidm1 aMember User & Partner

How are members billed? is it a rebill? What system?

David
  3. alexander

alexander Administrator Staff Member

I believe the best way will be to move install first and then upgrade
  4. trackbikes

trackbikes Member

David,

Recurring monthly payments via both clickbank and paypal
  5. trackbikes

trackbikes Member

I've looked for a guide to do that and can't find one..

Would the process be....

1. Make a new install of V3 on the new domain Add plugins etc

2. Export all the users from the original Install

3. Import users to new install

4. when thats working Upgrade to V4

If thats the process how do i deal with affiliates in that case as i can't see a way to export them..

I did a test install of V4 and then an import of V3 from the old domain last week and it seemed to work mostly as expected.

I Had a quick look at how to install plugins but that wasn't immediatly obvious but I am sure it's simple
  6. alexander

You don't need to use import/export within aMember.
    Just make a database backup(from amember CP or from your hosting control panel) and restore it in phpMyAdmin within your new site's hosting control panel.
    Then move aMember's files and change MySQL connection info in /amember/config.inc.php
  7. trackbikes

trackbikes Member

I've done that and it seemed to work ok.

I now have 2 V3 installs One on the old membership site and one on the new membership site. (happy to stick with V3 if everything is working at this stage.)

On the new install i've set up a new product , disabled the old products and changed the folder access to the new forum URL I've also set up folder protection.

One thing I need to know is what will happen to the existing members who pay monthly?

I can't seem to get my head around how the new install will track their access and process their payments

Will this now all happen seemlessly? Paypal or clickbank takes their monthly payment and the new install automatically tracks the payments and activates another months membership?

The other factor i have to deal with is people who have lifetime memberships, I assume i can either leave them in their current products OR I can set up a new product and use Mass subscribe
  8. alexander

As I have understood you have different domain name for new install?
    If so there could be issues with recurring payments. For example paypal store notification url in payment record (if _notify_url variable was set when user was redirected for payment) and there is no way to change that url.
    If your old domain will be active still you can add this rule to htaccess file in order to redirect paypal IPN messages to new url:
    Redirect 301 /amember/plugins/payment/paypal_r/ipn.php http://newdomain.com/amember/plugins/payment/paypal_r/ipn.php
    and do the same for clickbank IPN script.