What to do with extra user fields added by woocommerce?

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by anointed, Jan 30, 2013.

1. anointed

anointed New Member

WooCommerce adds a large number of fields to the user profile page in WordPress.

Basically it gives the user fields to input their physical address, mailing address, billing address, and a number of other fields that are absolutely necessary for WooCommerce to function properly. These fields are no different than just about any other shopping cart system in what they require the user to fill out.

WooCommerce also adds additional links to the user profile page so that the user can view their purchases, download their purchased products, track their shipments, and many other areas depending upon how extreme you setup the plugin.

The Problem:
    I am reading everywhere on the amamber site that I do not want my users to be able to access the WordPress users page, but to instead re-route everything to amember.

Obviously if I do then then the entire shopping cart system will break as much of this is totally necessary to run a storefront.

Even other plugins such as bbPress the forums plugin adds information to the user page such as links to their prior posts and threads, their favorites, and subscribed threads.

BuddyPress takes this even further, adding in the users uploads, links to their blogs, etc.

So given that a huge amount of the more advanced plugins for WordPress all require that the user be able to access their user page, how in the world am I supposed to setup amember to work properly?

I get the impression that I can run amember only if I totally neuter my WordPress website and do not offer any type of advanced functionality that involves my users.

I can't imagine this is the case, otherwise amember is pretty much useless software.

Can someone point me in the right direction on how I am supposed to overcome these problems?

I really don't want to run a totally dumbed down WordPress site just to be able to run amember.

thanks
  2. anointed

anointed New Member

Is anyone here running amember with WooCommerce, bbPress, or BuddyPress type of plugins?
  3. gswaim

gswaim CGI-Central Partner

First of all, why do you want to use WooCommerce to add ecommerce to a site when all this functionality is built into aMember? Are you using WooCommerce to sell hard products? I think problem one is trying to use two ecommerce solutions on the same WordPress install.

With aMember you only have to protect username, password, and email. You can add as many fields on the WordPress side as you want; however, they will not be pushed back to the aMember side. Also bbPress and BuddyPress do allow a person to edit their profile, but this is done from the front end, not the back end.

Detailed instructions on how aMember works with BuddyPress are found in the aMember Documentation starting with this page. The instructions on how to stop users from editing their username/password is covered on this page.

Blocking a person from changing their username/password in bbPress is just modding one line of code. If you decide to move forward with aMember and want to user bbPress I can provide that info.

A WordPress site integrated with aMember is the opposite of a "dumbed down" site. Some of the more powerful features of aMember are not offered by any other solution.
  4. anointed

anointed New Member

Thank you for the answer.

To answer back, yes, I will be selling physical products. Each of the websites I build are for 'larger' church's that have complete bookstores selling books, cd's, dvd's, etc. Even the 'medium' sized church sites will be selling physical dvd's of their services.

Now in the past, I would simply build a completely separate website for the storefront, however I have found it much better to simply use multisite and to put the storefront on that site. In the past when I did totally separate sites, it quickly became frustrating to the users because they had to maintain multiple profiles on multiple sites.

A couple of the sites will also be running buddypress in order to manage the different groups within the church. 'Men's minsitries, Women's ministries, Bible studies, etc'.

I appreciate the links to the extended documentation and I will be going through it all point by point.
  5. gswaim

gswaim CGI-Central Partner

I like this approach. You could use one site for the store and use WooCommerce on that site. Use aMember on the Church's main site for member login. aMember works well with BuddyPress which would be a great way to give various groups with the church a private area. BuddyPress features are also covered in the WordPress section of the aMember Support Wiki.