Rebills versus Paypal subscriptions

Discussion in 'Payments processing' started by tarawagner, Jan 5, 2013.

1. tarawagner

tarawagner New Member

I have a couple items for purchase that are rebilled either monthly or annually. I accept payments via Paypal.

Do I use Paypal's Subscribe option, creating the subscription in Paypal itself and entering the Paypal Button Item Number when creating the product in AMember? If so, do I still choose the rebill option to match the settings I create in Paypal?

I'm assuming these two need to match, right (Paypal settings and AMember settings)? There is nothing in the documentation that clarifies this.
  2. gswaim

gswaim CGI-Central Partner

1. Enable PayPal as documented on this page
    2. Add product with recurring billing as documented on this page'
    3. Stop, you are done.
  3. davidm1

davidm1 aMember User & Partner

4. sybaris

sybaris Member

I had the same question.
    In the end I just set up re-billing and decided to keep paypal simple so it just processes the payment when amember bills. Ultimately it achieves the same goal. Why make it complicated?
  5. gswaim

gswaim CGI-Central Partner

Yes setting up recurring billing on aMember with PayPal is as simple as my 1-2-3 steps from above.

Not that it really matters, but with the PayPal system aMember doesn't bill each recurring payment. When a person buys a recurring product, aMember sends all the information to PayPal and a subscription item is custom built in PayPal. Then PayPal will re-bill at the rate and time defined in the initial information sent from aMember. If a person cancels their subscription from PayPal an instant payment notification (IPN) is sent to aMember from PayPal. aMember then will end the membership at the end of the paid up session.

aMember's ability to dynamically build the subscription packages (including coupon processing) is a feature that is not found to too many other solutions. This is much better than a page full of static "Buy Now" buttons.
  6. sybaris

sybaris Member

Yep I followed the video, thanks.

Actually I found setting up the re billing options more tricky. Have to think about what goes in to which group and what permissions are set for each. Could be easier if you can make selections in a matrix or table. Much easier to see or visualise.