Do I need the Wordpress plugin, or just integration?

Discussion in 'Setting-up protection' started by thared33, Dec 17, 2011.

1. thared33

thared33 Member

Am I correct to assume that using the Wordpress integration feature, you have to have some sort of other software to make it work? I don't know what the integration actually does and how it protects anything. Maybe I need the plugin to protect pages?
  2. gswaim

gswaim CGI-Central Partner

If you are using Version 4 the best place to get this information is in the WordPress section of the aMember V4 Wiki

If you want to protect pages, posts, or categories you will need to install the aMember plugin in your WordPress installation. It is all in the Wiki.
  3. golden

golden New Member

Hey gswaim, (sorry to jump in)

I have installed amember v4 plugin and activated it, the problem I have is my site has a free-course (category) and needed to protect for non-login members. I tried using the protect shortcodes, but whenever I am logged in on amember I still can't view the article.

I check the subscription and it is active, the question is have is whenever I create a product. Do I have to set it to the actual product(i.e. category post) or it's already good to go?

How will I set up amember to know that my category is the product I am selling?

looking forward to your answers
  4. gswaim

Shortcodes are used to hide/show individual compontents of a page/post. In this case, do not use shortcodes.
    Since you are using the category approach you will need to create your content as posts and assign those posts to the protected category.
    Edit the category and check the "Protection enabled" box (as shown in the image below) and then configure the protection as described on this page from the aMember Version 4 Wiki.

protect_cat.png

Also it is best to use a test WordPress account (not your admin WordPress account) for testing. It is best to not link the WordPress admin account and the aMember admin account or add any subscriptions to the aMember admin account. Using this approach a logged in WP admin will not have access to protected content. Hope this made sense....
  5. golden

golden New Member

Hi gswaim,

I did what you told me, protect the category from categories. But when I assign the logged in users to redirect to the category it says "Too many redirects occurred, can't finish the redirects" any idea?

Also when I try to use a subscriber account on WP, I can view the category. While on amember (logged as subscriber) I can't.

I'm sure I did what you told me to, but still nothing happens - or I am doing this entirely wrong

Thanks again for the help...​
  6. alexander

alexander Administrator Staff Member

Can you please post a ticket in helpdesk and let me see your setup?
    Redirect issue have to be fixed, even if setup is wrong.
  7. golden

golden New Member

ticket created.
  8. golden

golden New Member

Hi Alexander, I already created the ticket and followed the instructions. Still the redirect issue never resolved it, can you please help?
  9. alexander

alexander Administrator Staff Member

Hi,
    It was fixed.
    The problem was in suhosin.session.encrypt setting. It must be disabled.
  10. golden

golden New Member

Yeah, just checked it. Thanks a lot Alexander!
  11. david_hunt

david_hunt aMember Pro Customer

MMm where is that - I have adopted Categories as protected and some posts as protected.

When I am a non member I can still view all of my posts under all posts

http://profithunters.com.au/post/all-posts/

What am I doing wrong?
  12. davidm1

davidm1 aMember User & Partner

How did you set the content protection on those pages? to be hidden from non-members?

David
  13. david_hunt

david_hunt aMember Pro Customer

I did it via WordPress Posts Categories and using the amprotect

I seemed to have solved that part but some categories Members are still not seeing somethings they are supposed to see.

Still can't get my head around the permissioning in amember and how it works with Wordpress. Can't see a video - Alex that may be a good thing as its the pages and posts that most WP users use.
  14. gswaim

I am not sure how you are presenting info to your users but, I'll give it a go:

Posts are not normally displayed individually. You place a post in a category and then display the category and all the posts in the category will be displayed in reverse chronological order. If you place a post in a category that has protection enabled, it inherits the category's protection. If you place a post in a protected category and a non-protected category, the post will not be show in the non-protected category unless the logged in user meets the requirements put on it by the protected category.

Also I am not sure how you are "showing" categories to users. IMHO when you start using categories to protect content the best approach is to place the categories in the menu using the WordPress Custom Menu. You can then have categories appear in the menu when the user has permission to them.

Every page, post, and category in WordPress has an aMember Protection Settings panel towards the bottom of the page. You configure the protection from within this panel as described on this page.
  15. thared33

thared33 Member

After setting up the integration, there's an aMember notice that I should create a new record. Having a record or not doesn't seem to affect when I protect pages or not using the additional wordpress plugin. I looked in the manual but it wasn't as clear as I'd hoped.

Also, isn't the Record notification supposed to disappear once you activate a new record?
  16. thared33

thared33 Member

Here's what I've found, but correct me if I'm wrong:

Method 1: If I wanted to protect pages/posts, I'd integrate wordpress, then add a record saying that X usergroup from WP gets access to X subscription. Then I'd need an additional 3rd party 'permissions' plugin like User Role Editor to give certain WP usergroups access to pages/posts that I select. This way, when a user is trying to access a WP page/post whose account group isn't assigned access, User role Editor will block them.

Method 2: In order to protect pages/posts, I'd integrate WP in aMember, but ignore adding a record. Then I'd install the aMember plugin into WP and protect pages with the aMember plugin via selecting a subscription type directly. This way the Record for WP user groups doesn't matter since it's the subscription that matters.

Basically method 1 protects pages via WP usergroup permissions, and method 2 protects pages via checking if the person has an active aMember subscription.

Is all of that right? I don't see a need for a Record with method 2.