Bulk Protecting Many Files through S3

Discussion in 'Setting-up protection' started by tonalgurus, Jan 6, 2013.

1. tonalgurus

tonalgurus New Member

I am developing a site to host 1000+ short audio clips to start, expanding to many many more later. I don't want to have to manually protect each file. Is there a way through amember or s3 to protect all the files with a bulk move?

I should mention that I am using a wordpress based site. I have seen a plugin that will create an expiring url, but the page that the link is on needs to be visible by non members and only the download link non accessible by visitors
  2. gswaim

gswaim CGI-Central Partner

While you can easily upload the audio files to Amazon S3 using a FTP-like tool such as Cloud Berry Explorer, you would have to create an expiring link one at a time in the Protect Content section of aMember. This takes a little work but works sweet.

If you have enough bandwidth on your server, you could set up a protected folder and then FTP all the audio files into the folder. All the files would inherit the protection you applied to the folder. You would then just provide a URL to the file, and if the user didn't have permission to see inside the folder they wouldn't get it.

This is easy. Just put the links on a page that has no protection but protect the the download links with the aMember shortcode feature (within the WP edit page). Note that while this would hide the links to non-members, you still need to protect the files as previously covered so the files could not be bookmarked and visited at a later time.

Good Luck...
  3. davidm1

davidm1 aMember User & Partner

How are you gonna be serving these files- each as its own link? from within wordpress? May be better off uploading with s3fox or cloudberry, protecting s3, and serving using a wordpress plugin that allows secure download/listening.

David
  4. gswaim

I assume he wants to be able to let a member download each file individually. If he can handle the bandwidth on his server, he could FTP all the files to a protected folder and then supply a URL to each file on a WordPress page. This is one of the easiest ways and he seems to be looking for an easy way.

If he wants to use S3 then sure. It seems like he is still going to have to provide a link on a WordPress page for each file unless these plugins can produce a playlist.

I personally would lean towards using the built-in aMember S3 feature to future-proof the solution. With aMember he has the option in the future of linking files to membership packages. And you don't' have to worry about the integrity or the future of the WP plugin.
  5. tonalgurus

tonalgurus New Member

I will be hosting files from 500kb to 200mb and don't have the bandwidth to serve that much data. 100% will be sticking with S3
    I have been messing around with wp-filebase pro and it will auto populate the files from S3, but it does not work at protecting the links. I can put the amember link in filebase, but the meta date in the audio files gets lost this way. How can I secure s3? I was reading up on IAM but it went well over my head, didn't seem to be what I was looking for.

A bulk import much like is available in Filebase would solve my problem. It's just not going to be worth my time to manually import each file one by one and copy the link over to WP when I have to do 200 a week.
  6. gswaim

There are plenty of WordPress/Amazon S3 plugins. I am sure there is one that will hit all the features you need. I am still not sure how you are going to present thousands of different audio files in a simple fashion on a WordPress page.

Good Luck.
  7. tonalgurus

tonalgurus New Member

WP-Filebase does a great job of presenting categorized files, just does not protect my S3 links. Looks like for now I will just have to do it manually till I get a dev onboard
  8. davidm1

davidm1 aMember User & Partner

I like the s3flowshield (aff link) for wordpress. Handles protection and serving of videos/audio/downloads.

David