Is there a way to auto generate usernames and passwords instead of letting customers choose?

Discussion in 'aMember Pro v.4' started by mporter9, Dec 27, 2012.

1. mporter9

mporter9 Member

Is there a way to auto generate usernames and passwords instead of letting customers choose their own? Asking someone to think of a username and password causes friction in the signup and order process and I want to test a new signup funnel where the customer never even gets to choose a username or password.

They would simply be sent a confirmation email after payment which would include their username and password. However, even if I can't accomplish ALL of the above, I'm willing to settle for bits and pieces.

For example, I'm pretty sure it's impossible right now to have Amember include the password in someone's welcome email, so I would be willing to settle for just being able to auto generate a username, but still having to ask them to create a password.

How can I accomplish this?

Thanks for the help.
  2. alexander

alexander Administrator Staff Member

1. Remove login and password bricks from signup form, and this will be auto-generated on signup.
    2. You can send password for use but you can do this from aMember CP-> Setup -> Email -> Send Registration Email only.
  3. mporter9

mporter9 Member

For #1, how will the person know what their username and password is, because right now I don't automatically log them in once they finish the first signup page and I want to keep it this way.

So when and how do they find out what their username and password is? Do they find out their username in the welcome email, or does it show it to them on the 2nd signup page where they enter in their credit card information? Does it show them their username on the "thank you" page after they complete payment?

For #2, does that mean that there is no way to include the password in the welcome/confirmed payment email that goes out AFTER they have paid? If there is absolutely no way to do this, then I guess I could just send 2 emails and the first email would be like how you described and include their password and then they would also get the 2nd "payment" email as well.

If there is a way though, I would like to only send the one single email after payment, and have that email include both the username and the password.
  4. davidm1

davidm1 aMember User & Partner

This has to do with the current security setup of amember. When a new member signs up, they can receive their new password- as it is still unencrypted. However, once signup is complete and that registration email is sent- the password is now encrypted, and when they complete payment, the system can no longer display an unencrypted password- so no, with the default system you cant send a single email after payment with the users password in it, and it cant be displayed on any pages.

Possible fix- you would create a new field in amember, and have amember put the unencrypted password into this field for later use. I believe amember support can set this up for you pretty easily.

David
    mporter9 likes this.