Redirect After Signup

Discussion in 'Integration' started by patmac, Dec 16, 2012.

1. patmac

patmac New Member

I'm currently working on integrating Mailchimp with my aMember. Everything is set so that when a user signs up, they're automatically added to my Mailchimp list. However, they need to confirm their email address a second time by clicking the confirmation link that Mailchimp sends them.

There are two ways to ensure people successfully get added to the list.

1) After first signup (NOT login), the user is redirected to a page with a "You're almost there! Check you email and click the link to confirm your account" type of memo.

2) Disable Mailchimp from the second opt-in and have it allow single opt-in users to join the list.

I'm okay with either, I just need to know how to do one or the other so that I don't have a bunch of members who aren't added to the list due to second opt-in technicalities.

Thanks for your help!
  2. gswaim

gswaim CGI-Central Partner

#2 Would be the easiest way.

On the MailChimp Configuration Page there is a check box for "Disable Double Opt-in" If you don't see it you are likely running an older version. This feature was added at Version 4.2.10

Also, If you plan to drop the double opt-in you need to make it clear to users that when they register with your site they are agreeing to be added to a mail list. If you don't and users complain to MailChimp, you could put your account in jeopardy. I would at least put it clearly in the TOS and require that they acknowledge the TOS during the registration process. And even better, make mention of this in the product description.
  3. patmac

patmac New Member

Thanks @gswaim!

I like the idea of putting it in the TOS and require an agreement to the TOS during the registration process.

How do I make that a required step on the registration page?
  4. gswaim

1. Click on "Form Editor" in the left menu panel
    2. Click on the edit icon (in Actions column) of the Signup Form
    3. Drag the "User Agreement" brick from the right column (Available Bricks) to the Form Bricks column on the left. Note: The placement in the brick stack will dictate its position on the edit form
    4. Then click the User Agreement's "Configure" link to add the TOS or agreement.
    5. To control the User Agreement's displayed text, click on the "Labels" link and change text as desired.
  5. patmac

patmac New Member

Great, thanks!

When I add this now, will it affect my existing members in any way?
  6. gswaim

No, just those that register going forward. However, I do remember some chatter on the forums in the past on how to get existing users to acknowledge the agreement. If this is important to you, I suspect a forum search would find it, or maybe one of the other seasoned users would know how to do it.
  7. patmac

patmac New Member

Great! I upgraded to 4.2.13, installed the MailChimp plugin, added the TOS to registration page, and got everything set up. It's all running smoothly now! Thanks for your help!

One question though...I have a free plan and a paid plan. Users will sign up for a free plan and then later upgrade to a paid plan. Is there a way to automatically move them from the "Free MailChimp list" to the "Paid MailChimp list" when they make the payment in aMember?

Right now it looks like when they're added to the "Paid MailChimp list" they remain on the "Free MailChimp list" as well.
  8. gswaim