WordPress Now Shows a Page Not Found Error Suddenly

Discussion in 'aMember Pro v.4' started by thinkscripter, Sep 20, 2012.

1. amlet66

amlet66 aMember Pro Customer

2. amlet66

I contacted bluehost and they told me:
    So it looks like our developers were testing out a new version of Apache, and that's why there's a problem, our admins are aware of the testing and will be working on getting it all back in order ASAP
    Unfortunately we don't have a timeframe for when it'll be working again, my personal guess would likely be within an hour, maybe 2
  3. hishaman

hishaman New Member

I had it fixed by BlueHost support guy, he added modified the .htaccess and finally got my site working!

However, he told me it's not their responsibility to do mod-rewrite test for clients, so that was exceptional! (didn't like that part, but I had to thank him anyways and appreciate his help). But after reading "amlet66's reply above" which proof that Alex is right "they broke something in the server configuration", I am SURE it's their responsibility to bring our sites back because it doesn't make any sense that they break it while testing then claim it's not their responsibility!

So I suggest you push them to fix it if they respond to you with some general copy and past reply!

Good luck guys, I hope you all can bring yours sites back soon!
    nfxf_web likes this.
  4. nfxf_web

nfxf_web New Member

Would you mind sharing the modified htaccess file they provided you?
  5. chad_bps

chad_bps New Member

Can you post the contents of your .htaccess file that is working now? That would be a great help!
    nfxf_web likes this.
  6. hishaman

hishaman New Member

Sure...

Code:
    # BEGIN WordPress
    <IfModule mod_rewrite.c>
    RewriteEngine On
    RewriteBase /
    RewriteRule ^index\.php$ - [L]
    RewriteCond %{REQUEST_FILENAME} !-f
    RewriteCond %{REQUEST_FILENAME} !-d
    RewriteRule . /index.php [L]
    </IfModule>

# END WordPress
    P.S. It's very basic though, not sure if they changed something else and didn't tell me!
  7. nfxf_web

nfxf_web New Member

They must have changed something else cause that's the standard htaccess file. Guess I have to contact support.
  8. chad_bps

chad_bps New Member

Thanks for this, but it does appear to be the standard one. There's an .htaccess file in the amember/ directory and that's the one causing the problem. Would you please upload that one? Thank you!
  9. successclasses

successclasses New Member

I uploaded the three files and received a 404 error message. I don't understand what I am supposed to do now. Can anyone help?

If I am supposed to report some sort of trouble ticket to my web host, what exactly am I supposed to tell them to fix? The cryptic instructions that were given with this script are completely inadequate for me to be able to sufficiently tell them what is wrong and what is supposed to be fixed.
  10. chad_bps

chad_bps New Member

After much effort (and no resolution from Hostmonster) I was finally able to resolve the problem. At least this works for me. I hope it works for you.

I edited the file /amember/.htaccess, then I added the line I indicate below:

Code:
    <IfModule mod_rewrite.c>
        RewriteEngine on
        RewriteBase /amember/  # <<< I added this line
        RewriteRule ^public public.php [L]

During my investigation of the problem, it appears as though the RewriteRules are deleting the path to the file. So what the RewriteBase does is make sure the path is in the result of the RewriteRule.

Since I am not an expert (by a long shot) on mod_rewrite or .htaccess, I hope that the line I added won't cause a problem when these web hosting companies fix their problem.

Chad B.
    mostfool likes this.
  11. mostfool

mostfool New Member

Thanks chad_bps, It worked for me. My aMember installation directory is "members", I just change /amember/ to /members/, and it works.

I also submit a ticket to hostmonster's support, hope they can give me a detailed reason.
    chad_bps likes this.
  12. nfxf_web

nfxf_web New Member

Bummer, that didn't work for me. I guess I need to wait for bluehost to get back to me and fix it...
  13. amlet66

I have add " RewriteBase /amember/" in .htaccess and now work!
  14. successclasses

My installation of AMember doesn't have an .htaccess file in the AMember's folder. I tried adding one myself, but that did not work. I am the one who Alex referred to as being the Lunar Pages hosting user, which I would think would confirm that this is not a problem specific to a particular host. I have submitted a help ticket with them trying to explain what is going on, though I am sure I was not very technically accurate. I really wish I understood what exactly was causing this problem.

Alex, I know that you have indicated that we should really push our hosts to fix this problem, but I am pushing right back at YOU to instruct us as to exactly what we need to say to our hosts to get this fixed promptly.
  15. alex

alex aMember Pro Customer Staff Member

You definitely have .htaccess file in aMember folder, aMember would not work without this file. This file may be considered as "hidden" by your FTP client. Please try to use webhosting control panel file manager to see it.

Below is answer for anyone in this topic:

PROBLEM
    Your webhosting has changed something in configuration that RewriteBase is now required for all rewrite instructions, and it affected aMember as it may also affect other scripts.

SOLUTION
    Edit file .htaccess in aMember folder
    Immediately after line
    RewriteEngine On
    add line (replace amember to actual aMember foldername in your install):
    RewriteBase /amember
    Save the .htaccess file (and upload it back to webhosting if necessary). That is all.
    benfitts and nfxf_web like this.
  16. taurenmill

taurenmill New Member

I am having the same problems with bluehost. I have contacted them twice about this and they only suggested that I restore my site to the previous week, but I just set up this entire site this week. It is taking them over 24 hours to get back to me each time I reply. The support is ridiculous.

Edit: I tried adding the line and it is still not fixed in bluehost.
  17. nfxf_web

nfxf_web New Member

Try accessing it via FTP, the cpanel file manager is not a reliable method.

Alex, I did the suggestion above of adding RewriteBase /amember as well as RewriteBase /amember/ and neither solution is working. I too am getting tired of bluehost support. I am going to have to elevate our requirement of moving this client to a new webhost.
  18. nfxf_web

nfxf_web New Member

I take that back. I tested with the test script and this modification to the htaccess file worked. Upon repeating this mod to the amember folder it worked so I must have had a typo or invalid character in my file someplace.

Thanks Alex!
  19. bibbott

bibbott New Member

Have you tried calling BlueHost (as opposed to posting in their forums or emailing them)? I called them today and spoke to someone in Support who was checking with the developers to make sure they're working on a fix. Their number is 888-401-4678. The more people who call them about solving this will probably increase the amount of attention they're giving it.
  20. successclasses

Alex,

I have just sent you a PM with FTP info. There is no .htaccess file in the amember folder on my installation. I have looked with FileZilla and the CPanel file manager on Lunar Pages. It is not there. I am able to see the .htaccess files in every other folder, so it is not a 'hidden file' issue.