Does amember support Paypal Payments Advanced?

Discussion in 'Payments processing' started by playpianoking, Sep 20, 2012.

1. playpianoking

playpianoking Member

Paypal Payments Advanced started in May 2012 I believe, so it's still fairly new.

Basically, it's benefit is that it's embeddable code allows users to stay on your website when checking out with their credit card. The form technically is still directing through paypal, so there is not need to maintain the PCI compliance or PA-DSS or get an SSL (as you would need with paypal pro).

It's better than standard obviously, because rather than be re-directed to paypal (of which will also not look like your site), with paypal advanced you can really make it look the same. Paypal is only charging $5/month for this as opposed to the $30/mo for pro + $30/mo for recurring billing.

[​IMG]

The question is - can amember work with paypal advanced !?

And ideally, users would checkout first, and then be directed to the amember username and password creation page.
    mporter9 likes this.
  2. alex

alex aMember Pro Customer Staff Member

PayPal Advanced is a really cool thing, but could we set it up for recurring billing? That stopped me from implementing it until I find more information about.
    If you could contact PayPal support to find out any documentation or description how to handle recurring billing with PayPal Advanced, it would be fine!
  3. mporter9

mporter9 Member

Hey,

Did you ever decide on which one to use?

I'm debating between paypal payments advanced and paypal payments pro and can't decide.
  4. mporter9

mporter9 Member

Alex,

What if I want to use paypal payments advanced without recurring billing and just for a one time sale? It should work fine right?

And which paypal plugin do I need to enable and setup in the amember admin panel to work with "paypal payments advanced?

Because right now the only paypal plugins available in the amember admin panel are these: paypal, paypal express, and paypal pro.
  5. alex

PayPal Advanced must be implemented separately, it is in fact a mix of Paypal and PayFlow Pro. It'd be nice to get some details about recurring billing before we start plugin development.
  6. playpianoking

playpianoking Member

When I spoke with paypal, they said that paypal advanced does not support recurring billing, however they seemed a little unsure. In any case, at this point I'm probably going to be implementing paypal pro with 1shoppingcart.
  7. playpianoking

playpianoking Member

I wanted to give everyone and update and share what I've learned - hope you're listening Alex!

Paypal Advanced DOES support recurring billing. But in order to allow recurring payments from non-paypal customers (like someone that just wants to use a cc and not signup with paypal), you must enable an additional paypal feature called enhanced recurring billing. This additional feature is $19.95 + the $5/mo for paypal advanced.

In essence, in order to have a seamless, and fully PCI compliant solution where customers stay on YOUR website, Paypal Advanced offers a great service! Now we just need this to be implemented with aMember! :)

Currently, I'm using the Paypal Pro solution for $30/mo + $30/mo for recurring billing, because that is the best option for me that aMember currently integrates with, but I'd be happy to go down to advanced!

Previously, I was just using Paypal standard as the checkout option on my site, and was losing many customers because I didn't realize that non-paypal users HAD to sign-up for a paypal account first (because it was a recurring billing product), even if they just wanted to pay with their credit card. Paypal Standard also has the add-on option of enhanced recurring billing for $19.95/mo. However, you might as well just pay an extra $5 and go with advanced - but if your site is strictly recurring and membership based, we need aMember to implement this!

Here is another benefit: If you sell on multiple websites under the same business/corporation, with any of the Paypal options, you will be able to still just pay your monthly fee and have checkout pages on multiple sites and payments coming from all of them and they all point to your Paypal account. With authorize.net & an internet merchant account, they will only work with one domain, thus you would need to sign up for other accounts for each website that you accept payments on, costing you time & money.

In summary, let Alex & the developers know to get paypal advanced up!
  8. stevenjohn

stevenjohn Member

Hi there,

Just to verify, you say:

"Currently, I'm using the Paypal Pro solution for $30/mo + $30/mo for recurring billing, because that is the best option for me that aMember currently integrates with, but I'd be happy to go down to advanced!"

I wanted to double check this at the top of the page http://manual.amember.com/PayPal_Pro_Plugin_Configuration it says:

"WARNING. PayPal PRO does not support recurring billing, and it is by nature of PayPal PRO system. It cannot be implemented in the plugin because it is not supported by PayPal, and clearly denied by PayPal Pro terms."

I have just looked at signing up for the UK Pro version https://www.paypal.com/uk/webapps/mpp/pro and you can pay an additional £20 pm to deal with recurring, but I was then worried by amembers statement they dont support recurring payments still.

Could someone please confirm the current position as i get the impression the amember page I quote above is out of date?

Many thanks, Steve.
  9. alex

PayPal Pro in aMember Pro v4 supports recurring billing.
    You are looking to manual for outdated aMember version3.