Custom layout.phtml isn't rendering

Discussion in 'Templates customization' started by patmac, Jul 16, 2012.

1. patmac

patmac New Member

2. patmac

patmac New Member

Ah. Figured it out. I have to overwrite each page. layout.phtml is the default IF something falls back to it, but most things are already falling back to /amember/application/default/views/.../foo.phtml

For instance, if I copy/paste login.phtml from /amember/application/default/views/login.phtml, to /amember/application/default/themes/MyTheme/login.phtml, then I can edit it all willy-nilly.

Does anyone happen to know if there a way to -not- fallback to the defaults so I can just work with the barebones essentials and see what's screwing up and what's working?
  3. trafficbrowser

trafficbrowser Member

4. trafficbrowser

trafficbrowser Member

It seems that the theme must be lower case and no spaces or under scores for it to work.

If you copy the "sample" folder and rename it "MySite_v1" it will not work, but if you renamed it "mysitev1" it works like it suppose to.. maybe we need to update docs to let people know.

Thanks.
  5. medicinecrow

medicinecrow New Member

Thanks for this thread, I was having the same problem.

Making the custom theme folder all lowercase corrected the issue.

Thanks!
  6. trafficbrowser

trafficbrowser Member

I am glad it helped you out, I was pulling out my hair to try to figure this out, since it's not mentioned in the docs.
  7. alex

alex aMember Pro Customer Staff Member

No, it is not falling back. layout.phtml is wrapped around each aMember page to insert common header and footer, so there is only one file to customize in most situations.
    If you want to customize a template, just copy it from application/default/views/ to your theme folder and customize.

If there are more questions regarding custom themes, I am ready to explain.
  8. regis

regis aMember Pro Customer

Can I modify /amember/application/default/views/layout.phtml as much as I want? Or will that be over written in an update? If so that's ok, I can keep track of having to modify one file after an update.

I'm thinking about putting some logic to take out the _top.phtml reference so that I can put all of the links to the member pages in my main menu instead of that sub-menu...

The biggest frustration I have currently is trying to sync my CSS with that of amember... that reset.css is killing me. The amember.css is not bad though, I do like the forms css and have integrated that into my own site design css file...

I'm also starting to try and wrap my head around the zend framework you guys used, I'd like to re-do my customer application side in the framework becasue right now it's just a really big collection of php files with is frustrating to try and manage.

I don't really want to modify any of the basic amember functionality but that reset.css.... UGH!...