Tax?

Discussion in 'Payments processing' started by solarwave, Jun 26, 2012.

1. solarwave

solarwave New Member

So, we've got everything running with a standard Paypal system, and we went ahead and enabled "regional tax" in Amember and then created (and saved) a regional tax rule (in Amember) of our state paying 6.25%. And then we clicked "Apply tax" on the test product we were using.

It doesn't seem to ever actually apply the tax. Is there a page showing in detail how to make it work right? "Tax" on the wiki just finds a page about viewing taxes paid, which is no help. "Tax" on the forum responds with the ever-helpful "you can't search for that". So...

How do we get tax to work?

EDIT: It appears that we need to force users to fill in their address with us, and that's the address used to calculate tax. Is that the only way? Because after that, they have to fill in their address with Paypal... that's pretty clunky.
  2. alexander

alexander Administrator Staff Member

Yes this is the only way to use taxes within aMember. User have to specify address on signup.
    In regards to paypal, address info already should be passed to paypal as well. have you tested this?
  3. solarwave

solarwave New Member

I think it'll work out.

I just wish there was documentation.
  4. franciscus

franciscus New Member

I am upgrading from v3 and I had customized the v3 add/renew page to check whether an address was specified, and force the user to specify one before paying.
    Can I do something similar in v4? I don't really like to ask for too much information in the free signup, and anyway, I have a large base of free users without address information, and who may want to buy a paid product.

EDIT: I think I found a solution. I created a new signup page as "Default for members" and added an address brick to that page. That implies that my "free" signup page can only have free products on it. But of course I can add an HTML brick with a link to a third signup page, which has all products and the address brick. In my case that

Wow. You have built a very flexible system!