Custom URL After Purchases...

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by zombietraining, May 22, 2012.

1. zombietraining

zombietraining New Member

I'm sorry, I have looked all over the place and haven't seen how to do this (sorry if I am looking right at it).

I have multiple products available on my site all of which can be purchased via paypal (have tested, works).

What I am wanting to do is have the page automatically redirect the page to either a custom URL for each product or a sort of landing page on my site, not on the aMember side.

Is that possible?

Thanks.
  2. davidm1

davidm1 aMember User & Partner

in 4.x go to amember admin / setup / login page
    Redirect after login, either fixed url, or first link
    Automatically login customer after signup, checked

If you set to first link- you need to create a link in 'protect content'

David
  3. zombietraining

zombietraining New Member

Thank you David for getting back to me so quickly.

Just so I am clear, I cannot customize the redirect link for individual product purchases but I can send all purchases & logins to one specific, protected URL?

Thank you again.

4. todddown

todddown Member

Hi, is zombietraining correct? I also want to redirect after a particular product is purchased. Is there a way to customise a redirect to a fixed page only if a particular product is purchased and leave any other purchases to go to the main member page?

Thanks
  5. davidm1

Set the link for that product to the specific page- test it and you'll see.

David
  6. tlever

tlever New Member

Unless I'm misunderstanding this does not work for me. I set up protected links - one for each membership type and assigned that link to that membership/product. When you log in with a user who only has access to one of those products, he is not redirected to that link. Instead, the Membership home page/info page is what comes up with that link on it. The redirect config is set up to redirect to first protected URL currently.
    If someone could PLEASE post an actual step-by-step on how to achieve this (what should be very simple functionality), it would be GREATLY appreciated. I've seen this same question all over these forums and it still has not been fully answered. Apparently this was easy to do in previous versions of aMember (3.x) but was changed in this newer version.
    A clear explanation of what changed and how it should be done now would be awesome.
  7. davidm1

It sounds like you have set up the links properly, did you also set the / admin / setup / login page
    Redirect after login to the 1st available link etc?

David
  8. tlever

tlever New Member

For those who want and need to know, this is what I've learned:

In my situation, I have a free level membership and a premium paid membership. I need the customer to be redirected after login to two different locations depending on their membership level. Here is how I was able to finally make it work.

1) On my server, I created a folder inside the amember directory called "loginFree" and another one called "loginPremium".

2) Inside those folders I placed the pages that I needed the user redirected to. If you don't want to move your files into those locations, place simple redirecting pages (like simple php redirects) into those locations. But here is what I found to be the REAL key to all of this. Make certain that inside those directories, the first file you want them to be redirected to is named "index.html".

The reason for this is that the only way this seems to work is by using Protected FOLDERS. Trying to use protected links doesn't seem to work. By making the file you want them redirected to the index.html of that directory, when they are redirected to that folder (see below) it will automatically pull up the index.html file. (For those that don't know, this is standard internet protocol. If a browser is directed to a folder/directory as opposed to a specific file name, it will automatically select any file named index.html within that directory/folder and pull that up in the browser.)

3) I went into my amember Admin interface and selected the Protect Folders area. In there, I chose to protect each of those two directories I created. When protecting the loginFree directory, be sure to then associate that with the Free Membership product. Alternately, protect the loginPremium folder and then associate that protection with the Premium Membership product.

4) Finally, go into the Config/Login area and select to redirect after login to 1st protected URL.

The reality here is that the Config/Login Redirect option for redirecting after login should really have the option named "First available Protected FOLDER" as opposed to "First available Protected URL". It would make the situation much more self-explanatory to people trying to figure this all out. The only way I've been able to get it to work is using this protected folder and index.html method described above. Creating protected links and then redirecting doesn't work. That method just sends the customer to the Membership page and shows them those links associated with their membership level - it doesn't automatically redirect them to any of the links.

I hope this helps out some other people like me who've been asking for a while for this solution. :)

Best,
    Tim