Slightly confused

Discussion in 'Setting-up protection' started by nobwaart, Mar 1, 2012.

1. nobwaart

nobwaart New Member

Hi,

Ok, my website is using Wordpress for the front end of the website i.e. blog, contact and about us pages and Xenforo for my guild forums.

I have set up both the Wordpress and Xenforo plug-ins in Setup/Configuration, I then go to "Protect Content" > "Integrations" and have created records for for my Usergroups which are below.

For my Forum Moderators, who I also want to be Wordpress Authors, I have done the following:

Created a Product Category called Site Moderator
    Plugin ~ Wordpress
    Wordpress Usergroup ~ Author
    Access ~ Site Moderator

I then do the same but for Xenforo and then go to Browser Users and selecting my test user, add these two products, this works perfectly. When I login, they have author rights on Wordpress and Moderators on Xenforo.

This is until I add some subscription products i.e.

Lite subscription > 1 Euro per month recurring
    Medium subscription >2 Euro per month recurring

and so, when these products/subscriptions are added, I can no longer choose the Product Categories.

So my question is, is what I am doing possible? I basically want to have members of my community to have certain privileges like above, but for then if they choose to add a subscription where they can contribute to our dedicated server, gaming server and VoIP server costs.

Any help is appreciated.
  2. alex

alex aMember Pro Customer Staff Member

There is a problem that aMember does not know what single usergroup to choose for XenForo if there are several groups available. So it is simply chooses one with higher id#.
    If you add a moderator group to XenForo manually (add corresponding permissions to it), and configure it in settings at Protect Content, then aMember will choose that group.
  3. nobwaart

nobwaart New Member

Hi Alex,

Thank you for the reply, but would it be possible to go into greater detail when you say

"
    If you add a moderator group to XenForo manually (add corresponding permissions to it), and configure it in settings at Protect Content, then aMember will choose that group.​
    "

Haven't I have done that with what I did above ?
  4. nobwaart

nobwaart New Member

OK after a week or so of playing around, Im still slightly confused.

Basically, I have set up some subscriptions which users are only able to subscribe to when they have an active account.

€1 per month account to help with Dedicated server payments
    €2 per month "
    €3 per month "
    and so on....

Now my next question is how do we set it so that these subscriptions do not interfere with there Main Usergroup accounts (products) that I have set to the users ?

Basically, I want the subscriptions mentioned above (€1 pm, €2 pm, €3 pm and so on...) to be like additional products.

The reason for this is when I set a user to a product that has been set to allow them be part of a certain usergroup both in Wordpress and Xenforo. When I made a test purchase of one of these subscriptions, it changes them over to the subscription and they no longer have the Usergroup Account (product)

Anyone help me out please.
  5. nobwaart

nobwaart New Member

I've spent the whole weekend trying different methods or the above issue, is it even possible in aMember ?
  6. alex

alex aMember Pro Customer Staff Member

aMember can set only one usergroup for XenForo yet. It cannot add second group. Is it necessary?

That functionality is little tricky to implement because of XenForo specific. What is your XenForo version?
  7. nobwaart

nobwaart New Member

Hi Alex,

Xenforo is latest version.

When you say

Ideally, yes I actually really need this feature if at all possible. Its so I can have my Guild officers login to both Wordpress and Xenforo and be an author (Wordpress) and a Super Moderator (Xenforo) with one login and I would like this to happen for all my users. Basically, I have the following usergroups in my forum.

Admin ~ Me
    Super Moderators ~ Guild Officers
    Moderators ~ Senior Members
    Members ~ Guild Members
    Registered ~ Community Members

Therefore, I would need this feature, is the main reason for aMember so we could have a single login. If this is going to be an issue or hard to implement. Then the only other Forum software I would prefer to use over Xenforo is IPB, but you have no plug-in at the moment :(
  8. nobwaart

nobwaart New Member

I hate to bump, but is what I want to achieve not possible ?
  9. caesar

caesar aMember Pro Developer Staff Member

Hello,

Unfortunately right now it is impossible to add several groups to user for XenForo. aMember add user to group with higher id# from available for this user. I added new feature request to our bugtracker (http://bt.amember.com/issues/771) to implement ability to add several groups but there is some internal issue so I can not give you estimate time frame of implementation.

Best Regards.
  10. nobwaart

nobwaart New Member

Thanks for adding to the bt for me and the reply.
  11. AdamCapriola

AdamCapriola New Member

I also need to be able to give users in XenForo secondary user groups. It would be nice if the protection in aMember gave option to specify a primary user group for a product, and then secondary user groups too.

I will try and figure out a way to manage everything until this is resolved, but the way XenForo appears to work, permissions are inherited from each user group you a member of, which makes perfect sense. If you cannot give a user more than 1 user group though, then that complicates things. I don't even know if it will be possible for me to make it work or not.

EDIT: This appears to be a pretty big issue since if I don't give a user at least the "Registered" user group (whether it be primary or secondary), they for some reason can't access ANYTHING on the forums. This is the error I get:
    And there isn't really any way to duplicate the Registered group since it's all based on inheritance. If a user isn't Registered, they can't do anything.
  12. AdamCapriola

AdamCapriola New Member

I found a workaround. This is slightly complicated if you have a bunch of user groups you need to assign, but first I'd recreate your current user groups, with the one with the least permissions first, to most permissions last. aMember assigns the user to the usergroup with the highest ID by default, if you try to assign them to two, so you probably want to give priority to the more authoritative user groups.

Then use User Group Promotions within XenForo. You can make a promotion that says if a user is in user group A, assign them to user group B as well. I'm still waiting to make sure this works, since you have to wait for the cron job to run before it updates. I am reasonably sure this'll work, so you then make sure each user has the appropriate secondary user groups (like Registered, for sure).

Otherwise you could manually assign the promotions, and they should stick no matter what.
  13. AdamCapriola

AdamCapriola New Member

After some testing, it doesn't quite work. I made a thread on the XenForo support forums on the lingering issue: http://xenforo.com/community/threads/user-group-promotions-only-run-once.31276/

Basically it seems like a user can only be promoted once. So if someone buys a membership, cancels, then tries to sign up later, the XenForo promotion won't work. It might even reset when the membership renews.

I can't commit until this is worked out. It's very close to being fixed though - like if there is a way to disable XenForo from keeping track of user promotions, it would probably work. Or if it simply ignored the history and tried to add the promotion again.