How do coupons work in aMember 4?

Discussion in 'Payments processing' started by trainsem, Dec 9, 2011.

1. trainsem

trainsem Member

Wiki
    How does a coupon work? My expectation was like GoDaddy -- if a user knows a coupon code, they enter the code during checkout. e.g. 20%OFF. If they don't, then they miss out.

Am I right in assuming that an aMember coupon is available to everyone while the coupon is active? I created a coupon and tried to signup as a new user but was taken to PayPal with no sign of a coupon or discount anywhere.

Could the explanation be added to the Wiki?
  2. trainsem

trainsem Member

I may have partially solved this.

I have added a coupon brick via Forms Editor, so I see the coupon field in the signup form.

After creating a coupon I clicked the magnifying glass icon and saw that the codes are 8 character alphanumerics. Does that mean I should promote like this - "Enter coupon code A1A1A1A1 during checkout" rather than a string of my choosing?
  3. gswaim

gswaim CGI-Central Partner

When you click on the "View Coupons" icon on the far right of the Coupon Batch List you will see a list of the randomly generated coupon codes. If you click on the generagted coupon code you can change the name anything you want, such as" "Christmas 10 Percent" or "AAA Member Discount"

You can generate a unique coupon code for each promotion to help track the most effective campaigns. With a little "out-of-the-box" thinking you can think of many ways to use coupons.
  4. trainsem

trainsem Member

Thanks, Grant. Where did you discover that information, as it isn't in the docs?
  5. gswaim

Well.... Just poking around. Alex and crew are slammed with rolling out V4 and the documentation is not where it needs to be. I actually wrote all the WordPress documentation to help out. I know they are aware of this need and are looking to hire someone to go ahead and get it finished.
  6. trainsem

trainsem Member

Where is the WP documentation that you wrote? (I notice you use the v4.amember.com URLs - speaking as an SEO, they should 301 them to www because that's where I see the docs now.)

It would be good if they got someone in the US or UK/AU/NZ to re-write the docs (and the language files inside the UI). I can tell there is a powerful product hiding in there somewhere, but the documentation and UI are getting in the way.
  7. gswaim

It is in the Version 4 Wiki, here.

I agree and they want to improve it. Most coders don't handle their own documentation well and English is not their native language.
  8. reddenim

reddenim New Member

I am so glad you pointed this out! I had no idea anything to the left of "Coupons Count" was there.

Changed my screen resolution to 1280 x 720 and sure enough, there it is!

I wonder what other functionality I've been missing. Time to play! Thank you!
  9. lvtriclub

lvtriclub Member

I must be missing something....I have a coupon setup and assigned to a product...then, I have a PayPal sandbox account setup....when I create a new account there is never a prompt for a coupon code? When is that supposed to be happening?
  10. gswaim

You have to add a coupon field to your signup page....

1. From the admin control panel, click on Form Editor (in the Configuration section)
    2. In the "Signup Form" row, click on the edit icon in the "Actions" column.
    3. Add the coupon field to the the signup form by dragging it from the right to the left (everything in the left column is on the form).
    4. Be sure and click on save.
    coupon.png
  11. lvtriclub

lvtriclub Member

Thank you Grant...you are super helpful...I just tried to do that and I get a red error message:

CSRF protection error - form must be submitted within 60 minutes after displaying, please repeat

What does that mean?

OH...ok, it looks like I needed to go through each line and confirm my settings...thank you very much.
  12. gswaim

Never saw that one. Not sure. Support will probably respond, if not you should submit a ticket.
  13. lvtriclub

lvtriclub Member

you might not have seen my edit at the end....it looks like when I add bricks or as a new install I have to go through each line item to confirm its settings....
  14. gswaim

OK, glad it worked out.