Can you blacklist certain users/domains?

Discussion in 'Pre-Sales Questions' started by orish, Mar 15, 2011.

1. orish

orish aMember Pro Customer

Hi, I'm looking for a way to simplify access to my website. It's very cumbersome to have to ask subscribers to verify their email first and then require them to log in just after they've completed their sign-up details.

I'd like to allow immediate sign-up access for new subscribers, so that they can immediately access the free areas of my site.

I want to allow them, say, 24 hours before activating their membership - and then switch off their membership if they don't click on the confirmation link. In which case, I'd like to send them another email to remind them to activate their membership.

However, this is open to potential abuse. I'm getting quite a few subscribers from rambler.ru for instance, as well as other known spamsters (there are a few websites that keep track of the email addresses they use).

What I'd love to do is to maintain a list of spamsters' emails and block certain domains from getting into my site at all. If I decide to allow comments to be added by members, then I want to prevent spam ads being published on my website in the forum or comment areas.

Can you do this with amember? And if so how? Ideally, to do a look up directly with one of the websites that maintain spam email addresses.
  2. alexander

alexander Administrator Staff Member

Sure you can do this.
    You can ban emails, user IP and usernames.
    use will not be able to signup from banned IP or using banned email or login.
  3. wilmatan

wilmatan New Member

I also have a question about this IP banning.
    I am just wondering, what if spammers use dynamic IP addresses? or use another email addresses? :confused:

[​IMG]
  4. alexander

alexander Administrator Staff Member

Enable captcha and email verification this will help .
  5. amj94

amj94 New Member

hi i am a newbie to captcha please let me know a little about it e.g what is its functionality and how to enable it? Thanks [​IMG]
  6. davidm1

davidm1 aMember User & Partner

amember admin / setup / advanced / Use CAPTCHA on signup page

Thats it.

David