Amember does not log me into wordpress

Discussion in 'Integration' started by lsotcoaching, Aug 6, 2010.

1. lsotcoaching

lsotcoaching New Member

I have a problem with a new membership website I just set up. Everything works perfectly, except that when I login, through amember, with my test username and password I am not logged into wordpress. Therefore, I can not see the protected posts that are meant only for registered members. These can only be seen if I login into wordpress also.

Whenever I create a new user in amemer - he appears in wordpress also. The only problem is amember and wordpress do not communicate when it comes to login of the registered users.

The weird thing is that this works impeccably on my localhost. Also, this worked fine a week ago. I thought I did something wrong in my settings so I installed the whole thing again on a clean database. It still doesn't work

Any ideas about what might cause this?
  2. davidm1

davidm1 aMember User & Partner

What integration method did you use?
    amprotect, amember beta plugin, amember regular plugin with hidepost?

David
  3. lsotcoaching

lsotcoaching New Member

Hi David and thank you for responding me!

I am using amember regular plugin with hidepost. I also tried with amember regular + another plugin for hiding posts (role scoper) - still the same problem - amember and wordpress do not communicate when it comes of user login. I could probably ask my users to perform a double login, but from what I understood, they should communicate or else it means I have an integration problem!
  4. lsotcoaching

lsotcoaching New Member

OK, new development on this problem: after installing and reinstalling amember 20.000 times, I discovered it works only with wordpress 2.9 AND if I set up both amember and wordpress with the same WordPress AUTH_KEY, WordPress SECURE_AUTH_KEY and WordPress LOGGED_IN_KEY (from amember admin > plugins > wordpress) - I found somewhere on this forum that I should use a simple phrase, which I did

But it still does not work with wp 3.0 - any ideas?
  5. grantswaim

grantswaim New Member

The technique used by the original aMember plug-in is now antiquated based on 2md generation techniques that are not based on WP roles and levels.

The beta aMember plug-in and the amProtect plug-in are built on systems that are not based on WP roles & capabilities. IMHO you should switch to one of these plug-ins.

The aMember plug-in is still in beta and should not be used on a production installation. However, amProtect is a comprehensive, mature plug-in that has excellent documentation, good support, and is fully compatible with WP 3.0

I use amProtect on the site in my signature and consider it the best solution at the time of this post.
  6. davidm1

Agreed- I recommend and use amprotect for my integrations. It works with wordpress 3. Move to that integration.

David
  7. quietspeculation

quietspeculation New Member

Are there any plans to update the original amember wordpress plugin so that the automatic login to Wordpress will work with Wordpress 3.0?

I looked into amProtect and I don't believe it does what I need it to do. I want to have it so my users can comment on members only articles without having to log in wordpress separately or having to type in their user name, email, etc.

I believe the only way to do that would be to have a full integration where amember users get added to the wordpress database and get automatically logged in, which as I understand it, amProtect does not do..

Does anybody know another setup that allows users to comment without logging in twice? Or do I need to look at downgrading to 2.9?
  8. davidm1

If articles arent protected and the comments section allows it- non registered members should be able to comment.
    amprotect now does this.

David
  9. quietspeculation

quietspeculation New Member

David,
    Thanks for your help. Glad they added login integration - purchased the plugin and according to my initial tests it's working like a charm.
    - Jason
  10. helenwh

helenwh New Member

I'm not good at this field. So i have no clue for your question. I just hope your problem soon be solved.
  11. untanglemyweb

untanglemyweb New Member

David, just to confirm, does that mean that without amprotect users that login to amember will not be automatically logged into wordpress? I didn't see anything relating specifically to this login feature listed on your product page.

Is there no other way to automatically log users into wordpress?

Thanks
    Adam
  12. davidm1

You can use the free amember plugin too.

David
  13. untanglemyweb

untanglemyweb New Member

Hi David,

What we didn't realise is that the download for the amember plugin located under the client profile area does not contain the plugin we needed for wordpress.

It was only after a support ticket pointed us to http://www.amember.com/p/integration/new-wordpress-plugin/ that we realised this did the exactly what we needed and therefore no longer required amProtect to automatically log amember users into wordpress.

Can we suggest that this plugin is also listed under the client profile section.

Thanks,
    Cassie
  14. alexander

alexander Administrator Staff Member

Sure we will do this for sure.
  15. mrphantuan

mrphantuan New Member

Agreed- I recommend and use amprotect for my integrations. It works with wordpress 3. Move to that integration.