Gotta know: Can I import my Wordpress users into Amember?

Discussion in 'Pre-Sales Questions' started by AdamCapriola, Jul 10, 2010.

1. AdamCapriola

AdamCapriola New Member

Hi there,

I have spent the past day or two looking at all the different options for turning Wordpress into a membership site.

I've looked at a bunch of direct WP plugins but none seem to be as robust as Amember.

The amProtect plugin looks like it will help me achieve pretty much everything I am going to want to do.

BUT here's my concern...

The way my site is set up, a high portion of my visitors have already registered on my website. So right now I have 800 something people signed up as contributors on my WP install.

A bunch of these people will more than likely want to buy a membership once I open it up.

My worry is about getting these people into the amember database. I don't know how the plugins and everything work, but I'd want to get all these people into amember as free members (and then they could upgrade their membership later on if wanted).

I don't want everyone to be forced to create a new account to get purchase a subscription.

So...is that feasible? Do the current wordpress integration plugins allow me to import all my current users into amember?

Thanks so much in advance,

-Adam
  2. alexander

alexander Administrator Staff Member

Adam, Import is possible but you will need to generate new passwords for all imported users and then email new password info to all users.
    Also, aMember will allow to signup with the same login/password/email as in wordpress so existing wordpress user will be able to use the same info when purchase membership from aMember's signup page.
  3. slinky

slinky Member

Uh oh... there has to be a better way. Can users use a "forgot password" link to autogenerate a login and get a new password. If not... how will anyone be able to manually create passwords for 70,000 users?
  4. AdamCapriola

AdamCapriola New Member

Thanks alexander, that should work out fine.

What about for the admin? I created my admin account with the same credentials as Wordpress, but my account is not linked. Do if I do a database rebuild, will that do the trick?

Thanks,

Adam
  5. grantswaim

grantswaim New Member

I can't explain why, but it is best to not try to directly sync the main WP admin account with aMember. See this post:

http://www.amember.com/forum/showthread.php?t=12323
  6. alexander

alexander Administrator Staff Member

If you will do database rebuild each admin will be downgraded to "subscriber" role.
    If you want to add admins to amember, create separate product in aMember that will be assigned to admin role in wordpress. Then assign admins to that product.