Facebook Connect Plugin for aMember now available

Discussion in '3rd Party Service Providers' started by robw, Jun 10, 2010.

1. robw

robw CGI-Central Partner

@crackbaby - It's not just about staying with the times, it's also about increasing the familiarity and trust for people and making life easy on your members which can increase your stickiness.

If you want to see it in action, feel free to create an account here:

http://www.golfmindfactor.com/

The 'Order Via Facebook' button on the homepage is a custom 'one click to order' (as long as the facebook member uses their real email address), but shows that you can use the plugin as the basis for some pretty advanced stuff outside aMember too.

But if it's a want rather than a need for you, no worries :cool:

Cheers
    Rob
  2. CrackBaby

CrackBaby Member

robw

I tested your website out and it is pretty cool but it raised some questions.

Is there a way to pull the phone number, address, and or country from their facebook account?
    When do you think you can customize which products are displayed on Face book? (Goes back I want to show sign up but not every purchase.

Thanks
  3. CrackBaby

CrackBaby Member

robw you around?
  4. robw

robw CGI-Central Partner

In short, no. Facebook privacy doesn't allow that to be collected. Here is the full list, but note that only the basics are guaranteed to be there (name and email*):
    http://developers.facebook.com/docs/reference/api/user

You can do this yourself by wrapping the Facebook include in a conditional tag in your signup template - e.g. to show only if in price group 2 or 5 you'd do this:

Code:
    [COLOR="red"]{if $smarty.request.price_group eq '2' || $smarty.request.price_group eq '5'}[/COLOR]
    {include file="../plugins/protect/fb_connect/signup.fb_connect.inc.html"}
    [COLOR="red"]{/if}[/COLOR]
    I will look to add some option to a future release as well though.

Cheers
    Rob

Ps - I don't get email updates when the thread is updated for some reason, so I check the forum when I can.
  5. robw

robw CGI-Central Partner

New version 1.4 now available

I've just released version 1.4 of the aMember Facebook plugin - this update is free to previous customers so just use the link in your receipt email to download.

This new version has a host of new and updated features that leverage the new aMember v3.2.3 features, including:

• No more messing about with templates when used with aMember v3.2.3 - you can put the Facebook buttons on your login and signup page with a click in the settings screen!
    • (Plus, you can still install buttons manually if you have heavily customised templates.)
    • Customisable Signup Page header text (when using the automatic button install feature above)
    • Ability to restrict the signup page button to certain price groups - so you can, for example, choose to offer facebook signup for a lead generation product (e.g free report etc) but leave it switched off for premium products.
      e.g. see: http://www.golfmindfactor.com/system/signup.php?price_group=1
    • Customisable text on Facebook buttons
    • Ability to exclude products from facebook wall updates
    • Ability to change the member screen "like" button into a full button with friend faces.
    • Now works hand in hand with our OpenID plugin.
    • Plugin now fully compatible with Ken Gary's amThankYou plugin.
    • Updated to latest Facebook API for most reliable connections to Facebook

Cheers
    Rob

Ps - If you are upgrading from a previous version and are now on aMember v3.2.3 or higher you won't need to mess with the templates any more to install.

Pps - did you know that you can now target Facebook ads to the friends of people who have connected to your site via the Facebook plugin...? Imagine the possibilities!
  6. robw

robw CGI-Central Partner

I've been asked a few times if there is any way to see the plugin in action before purchase - so I've created a video showing some of the features (including the "2-click" automatic signup) here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iFFbWWoA7Uo

Cheers
    Rob
  7. frdako

frdako New Member

Just installed the facebook connect plugin and it works great.
    My only problem was that I didnt read the readme well but Rob responded quickly to my support request.

This plugin has saved me much development time.
  8. roadogz

roadogz Member

A quick word to say thanks to Rob for doing a great plugin. And I especially want to say thanks for the brilliant support he provides. Great response time. Keep it up!!
  9. linguaspectrum

linguaspectrum Online English Teacher

Flawless integration

I bought this plugin two days ago. I also updated aMember to the latest version, 3.2.3, before installing the Facebook plugin. The installation was quick and easy and does exactly what it claims to do.

Today I emailed Rob to ask about putting the Facebook button on every page of my site, rather than just on the sign-up page. He responded in double-quick time which gives me great confidence in his after-sales support. I followed the instructions he sent and the Facebook Connect button is now displayed on every page when a visitor has not taken out a membership.

With almost 3,000 members, I anticipate this new feature to our site will quickly double our membership. Integrating Facebook Connect with our website makes it so easy for new members to sign up.

Thank you Rob for a great product.
  10. note2you

note2you New Member

have you plugins support duplicate email check??

thanks
  11. robw

robw CGI-Central Partner

Yes, naturally. They also do length checking (Facebook proxy emails can be over the 64 character limit for aMember).

Regards
    Rob
  12. note2you

note2you New Member

thanks for support and i bought this plugins and found problem signup facebook with IE browser only "An error occurred with (APP). Please try again later." can i help you,

thanks
    note
  13. robw

robw CGI-Central Partner

Note - that's a Facebook error... and most probably, as the message implies, temporary. It's nothing I can help with unfortunately and Facebook are often rolling updates.

Cheers
    Rob

Ps - If you have support issues, please email them directly as I don't check the forum every day.
  14. glrfcentral

glrfcentral New Member

Hey Rob,

Saw your posting on here about the plugin updates. For those of us who installed the Facebook Connect and OpenID plugins last September, and we DID modify the login.php templates, what, if anything will the upgrade do to those template modifications?

Thanks,

Brian
  15. alik223

alik223 New Member

I am getting Parse error: syntax error, unexpected T_STRING for this line of code.
    Code:
    <fb:login-button [COLOR="brown"]size="medium"[/COLOR] [COLOR="blue"]perms="email,publish_stream" onlogin='document.location.href="http://[COLOR="red"]YOURDOMAIN[/COLOR]/[COLOR="red"]amember[/COLOR]/plugins/protect/fb_connect/signup.php";'[/COLOR]>[COLOR="green"] Order via Facebook[/COLOR] </fb:login-button>
  16. robw

robw CGI-Central Partner

Yes, you're right... When inserting this code into a php print or echo statement, you need to backslash (ie: \ ) all the double quotes (ie: " ) in the code (ie: \" ) otherwise php will throw you a parse error - this is because the double quote is being used by php to mark the start and end of the text to print

Code:
    <fb:login-button [COLOR="brown"]size=\"medium\"[/COLOR] [COLOR="blue"]perms=\"email,publish_stream\" onlogin='document.location.href=\"http://[COLOR="red"]YOURDOMAIN[/COLOR]/[COLOR="red"]amember[/COLOR]/plugins/protect/fb_connect/signup.php\";'[/COLOR]>[COLOR="green"] Order via Facebook[/COLOR] </fb:login-button>
    Cheers
    Rob

Ps - Original code snippet also fixed up.
  17. robw

robw CGI-Central Partner

Hi Brian,

It won't touch your template modifications - and if you leave the 'Show on Signup/Login page' options unticked, it will understand that you are using a custom login/signup page and leave them alone.

On the other hand, if you are also upgrading to v3.2.3 and the aMember install has overwritten your old login/signup templates and you WANT to have the plugin automatically include itself, then you can just tick those boxes and it will add itself automatically to login and signup.

Cheers
    Rob
  18. glrfcentral

glrfcentral New Member

All quiet on the email front

Hi Rob,

Sent you an email asking what I should do on the upgrading about 3 weeks ago. Haven't heard back. All the files seemed over the top with the downloaded upgrade.

Of course, I understand how to ftp, and as you know, configure pages and templates. But I am perplexed with what files to upload given your answer above that the upgrade won't touch my customizations and yet the files appear to overwrite those customizations if I upload them.

Can I resend you an email? Do you have a new email?

Thanks,

Brian
  19. robw

robw CGI-Central Partner

Hi Brian,

Strange - I replied to you same day. Anyway, here's the scoop:

If you have made modifications to your aMember files (e.g. templates such as login.php, signup.php etc) then the upgrade won't touch them.

If you have made modifications to the files in the plugin folder itself, then yes, the new version will overwrite that.

The package is the complete new plugin - it's not an incremental upgrade - so you just replace all the files in the old plugin folder. If you have customised the plugin itself, then you'll need to do a compare/redo your changes.

Cheers
    Rob
  20. robw

robw CGI-Central Partner

Facebook Button not showing up... SOLUTION

I've had a couple of customers who have upgraded from an earlier version of aMember and found that the auto install of the facebook button doesn't work - all they see is the button text.

This is caused by using your old templates with the new version of aMember. From aMember version 3.2.3, the suggested method of customising your template is to use the layout.html template and leave the header.html and footer.html templates as they are in the new package.

Thats because the new header and footer templates have a function call in them which is needed for the automatic templating to work.

in header.html:
    PHP:
    {php} echo amember_get_header($this->_tpl_vars); {/php}
    in footer.html:
    PHP:
    {php} echo amember_get_footer($this->_tpl_vars); {/php}
    So... solutions are either:

a) RECOMMENDED: Move your header and footer info to the appropriate places in the layout.html template and then reinstall the new header/footer templates from the v3.2.3 aMember package

b) Keep your templates the way they are and re-add the function calls above from the new header/footer templates to your existing header/footer templates

c) Keep your templates the way they are and follow the facebook button manual install steps for pre-3.2.3 versions.

Cheers
    Rob