Wanted : beta testers of new wordpress plugin

Discussion in 'Integration' started by alexander, Apr 1, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. alexander

alexander Administrator Staff Member

Please contact me in helpdesk and provide access info I will check what can be wrong.
  2. mikica123

mikica123 New Member

Nevermind, I have sensetive customer data and can not give acc data. I have reinsatled blog 4 times, and have noticed that WP plugin "UTF-8 converter" could couse that error. It work now, I have tried other author plugin.
  3. alexander

Ok. Will test compatibility.
  4. mikica123

mikica123 New Member

again its now workin, maybe after users makes comments this happens.
  5. grantswaim

grantswaim New Member

Alex,

I have spent a fair amount of time using the new aMember/WordPress plugin. At first it seemed convoluted and was a little hard to grasp. However, after using it for some time, I now think of it more as brilliant, not convoluted. The way subscription products, protection levels, incremental content, and error messages can be defined is real powerful.

The way it is implemented gives the admin a lot of granularity such as:

• You can create any number of Protection Levels and they do not have to follow any hierarchical scheme
    • Each Protection Level can be contingent upon any number of Subscription Products.
    • Protection Levels can additionally be set to start and expire in X number of days.
    • Each Protection Level can be applied to a page, post, or category.
    • Each Protection Level can have its own "error message" based on the person being a guest, or registered user.
    • Protection Levels can be optionally applied to content after the "More" tag.
    • Protection Levels can be applied to content on a page or post by using short code tags.
    • And a few other odds and ends I will not include in this list.

As I look over the ToDo list for this beta plugin, I really think good documentation would fix about 3/4 of those concerns. I would like to see this plugin completed and taken out of Beta. My site will be launching a feature in about a month that is going to rely heavily on the ability of this plugin.

If it would help with this project, I would volunteer to develop the documentation. I think it would be more effective to do a series (about 4) of short screencasts to show how to install, configure, and use this plugin on a WordPress site. If this is something that you are interested in, I can send you a sample video to let you see the look and feel of what I had in mind.

Two "Icing on the Cake" Features

To give this plugin even more power and granularity I would propose two more features.

aMember Conditional Text Box Widget

A widget like the standard WordPress Text Widget, but it could be configured to only be visible to certain Protection Levels. This would give the admin even more flexibility in implimenting protected content on a WordPress site.

Set a WordPress Role For Each Subscription Product

aMember's original WordPress plugin allowed the user to be assigned to a specific WordPress role from the subscription setup page. While roles are not needed to implement page, post, or category protection with aMember's new protection plugin, there is still some value to being able to set this. It appears that all subscribers are added to the WordPress database as "Subscriber". This is a good default, but there are some cases where being able to additionally assign a user to a specific WordPress role at the subscription product level would be useful.

In closing, could you comment on a "Road Map" for this plugin? Any estimate on when this plugin will be ready to come out of beta and have its 1.0 level feature set well defined?
  6. ckwong

ckwong New Member

Alex,

I just bought amember and am trying out the new wordpress plugin.

Got this error "You don't have permission to access /amember/logout.php on this server." when I try to logout of wordpress. Any particular settings I missed?

I left the logout link in settings as blank (in the widget).

Thanks,
    CK
  7. alexander

ckwong,
    Edit /wordpress/wp-content/plugins/amember/amember.php and change this:
    Code:
    function amember_logout($param){
        $options = get_option('amember_options');
        header("Location: ".$options['amember_url']."/logout.php?amember_redirect_url=".($options['amember_logout_url'] ? $options['amember_logout_url'] : get_option('siteurl')));
        exit;
    }

to
    Code:
    function amember_logout($param){
        $options = get_option('amember_options');
        header("Location: ".$options['amember_url']."/logout.php?amember_redirect_url=".($options['amember_logout_url'] ? $options['amember_logout_url'] : '/'));
        exit;
    }

Let me know if this will not help.
  8. alexander

Grant,
    Thanks for your offer about documentation, we will accept it of course :)
    Currently I'm working on a list that you can see in first post of this thread. Some requests already were implemented and I will make update of plugin on next week, when I will finish everything that I have in TODO list. So then I plan to start work on documentation.

I added two features that you mention in your post to todo list already, but have a question about second:

Set a WordPress Role For Each Subscription Product

I believe since plugin will work with levels, this will be better to use levels here as well. So you will be able to assign each level (not product) to wordpress role. I believe this will give more power to plugin.
  9. grantswaim

grantswaim New Member

Sound like a good plan. After I shake down the next plugin version, I can send you a sample video for your input.

Alex,

This feature is similar to the feature that was included in your original WordPress (WP) plugin. It is the ability to assign the user to one of the available WP "Roles" from a subscription product.

I think your plugin actually allowed you to set a "Level" value from 1 to 10. A WP plugin then used the user's level to control access. The Level scheme was replaced in Version 2 with the Roles and Capabilities scheme. While levels are still supported by WP, they should not be used based on this quote from the Roles and Capabilities Page in the WP Codex.

Here is another good article on WP Roles and Capabilities.

So the aMember subscription product should set the Role, not a Level.

I think it is easy to confuse what I am talking about with the Protection Level scheme used by the beta WP plugin. This is actually a secondary action that has nothing to do with the current functionality of the aMember plugin.

What it does is allow a subscription product to assign a role to the WP user. A seasoned WP site admin can then use this role to further control the user's capabilities on the WP site.

Let me give one example for clarity:

It looks like the stand alone forum, bbPress will be fully integrated with WP in the not too distant future. You will be able to hide forums to users based on their WP Role. Therefore, if I could assign them a role from within a subscription product I could use aMember to directly control access to pages, posts, and categories and use the WP role to control access to the bbPress forum.​

The only downside I see to this is not confusing this feature with the aMember's plugin core functionality; however, with good documentation this should not be a problem.

Thanks!
  10. thors1982

thors1982 Member

I am having logout problems.

If I login through amember it logs into both amember and wordpress.
    If I logout through wordpress it logs out of both fine.

However, if I logout through amember (https://www.sitename.com/amember/logout.php), it doesn't log out of wordpress or amemeber.

I try to keep all my amember pages on https and all my wordpress pages on http? Could this be the problem? Or do you know why this is happening?
  11. grantswaim

grantswaim New Member

Thors,

I am using this plugin and I found that by using the aMember supplied widget for logins and log outs all is well. When you use the log out link in the aMember widget it actually logs you out using the WP log out routine.

I just took away all other ways to log in or log out and only offer the widget to the user. I even changed the hyperlinks in the comment box area as shown below in bold and red. The "logged in" link points to my Membership Page that has the aMember widget in the sidebar. The user's name hyperlink now points to the user's aMember profile page. You do not need to change the "Log out?" link since it uses the WordPress log out which works fine.

You must be logged in to comment.
    You are logged in as John Doe. Log out?​

You can see this @ digitalliteracyproject.com

Good Luck!
  12. alexander

There is a problem with logout you right. Plugin login/logout user from wordpress so aMember's logout does not work currently. I'm working on this issue now and it will be fixed in next plugin release.
  13. thors1982

thors1982 Member

Thanks a lot for your help Grantswaim, and good to know Alexander I am looking forward to the next release.

I am having two other issues

1: In the admin under Settings/Protect Categories I can't seem to get it to unprotect a category after I have selected it an publish. If I do "deselect all" then publish. It re-appears selected.

2: I am having an issue with Pages that are not protected. Being blocked when I go to the pages unlogged in I get the wordpress 404 page. If I check the "aMember protection settings" Nothing is checked so it should be open for everyone to see? Right?

Overall though it's a great plugin and has a lot of potential. Keep up the good work.
  14. grantswaim

grantswaim New Member

Alex,

Checking in on the progress of the 2nd Generation aMermber/WordPress plugin. I will be doing a presentation about how to build a membership-style WordPress powered site at WordCamp Raleigh 2010 on May 22.

I will spend a significant part of the presentation showcasing how to integrate aMember and WordPress. I would like to be able to show off the latest and greatest.

Thanks
  15. rfranta

rfranta Member

Tried to put this is tonight but once I enter the security code on the blog I get this error message.

Connection failed (Security Key Validation failed)!

I have triple checked every setting and can't figure it out.

Any ideas?

Thanks rob
  16. alexander

Grant,
    Sorry for delay with update, I'm busy with support last days, so release is delayed a little. Plugin will be released on current week.
  17. grantswaim

grantswaim New Member

Alex,

Thanks for the update. It would be good to show the best version at WordCamp on May 22.
  18. rfranta

rfranta Member

I am not sure I understand how the more tag works can someone explain that to me or is there documentation on the more tag. I cant get the hidden post to function either I am sure the problem is the fact that Alex said in a previous post I need to use the more tag.

Thanks
    Rob
  19. alexander

Rob,
    Contact me in helpdesk I need to check post settings.
  20. rfranta

rfranta Member

Ok Thanks Alex, I just sent the info via a help ticket I already had open for wordpress help.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.