Whingers

Discussion in '3rd Party Service Providers' started by jenolan, Oct 13, 2009.

1. jenolan

jenolan aMember Coder

Posted on JLogica.

Let me make something clear. If I make a mistake I will do my damn best effort to correct the problem, and deliver the best solutions to anyone whether it is free software I develop or payware. It makes no difference to me, code is code, but let me be explicit things happen, one character or a dot or a semi-colon can break things .. but I will recover and remediate and no matter what in the end I will deliver the code or I will refund anything paid even though most of the here goes to kiva. That is irrelevant for the code I develop.

But, let me be absolutely clear. People who threaten me in this mistaken belief that legality exceeds honour can go somewhere else, I have always and will continue to provide code that is better than best practice, I don't try and hide my mistakes, I try to over come them and give the people that entrust me with the best I can give if that is not enough for you then shame, shame, shame! I will do what is necessary, don't you dare demean my efforts for you own short sightedness. If this offends you .. fine .. I do not want you using my code, go away. If you understand, then I will always try and help fairly to deliver the true end result .. reliable software.

Larry Lewis
    Justice of the Peace (NSW)
    Australia
  2. skippybosco

skippybosco CGI-Central Partner Staff Member

I've been a member of this community for some time and can testify to Larry's professionalism and support for his code and his customers.

While I'm not privy to the specifics of the threats in question..

whether you are installing a plugin for your payment system, switching out your forum software or even switching all your computers from Windows to Mac.. plan ahead, make backups, test thoroughly.. assume things will go wrong and plan for worse case scenarios..

If your production site blows up because of a conflict or use case that you didn't test for, don't threaten the guy that wrote the code. That is NOT going to make him fix the problem any faster.
  3. jenolan

jenolan aMember Coder

Thanks skippy mate,

I got extra onery because I was driving for twelve hours yesterday, before I left I thought I had the matter resolved but I was late and didn't do a 'real' transaction only tested stuff locally before putting it online. When I got back and found it didn't solve the issue I manually corrected the problem then went searching for what else was wrong. Ends up there seems to be some weird problem with the paypal_r plugin that I have asked the trusty Alex (and crew) to have a gander at as I don't like touching their payment processing.

A few times recently there have been some pretty intolerant people around. As I said in my message if there is a problem I will fix it regardless of how much skull sweat I have to expend. I think the problem is that too many people are fixated on 'instant' rather than 'quality' and are far too ready to throw a wally when someone doesn't give 'em their candy quick enough.

Now I still have the real challenge from the travelling yesterday .. assemble the tractor implements so that I can repair our water supply.

Cheers!
    Larry
  4. thehpmc

thehpmc Member

Larry I can only say chill out!! I had a problem with one of your plugins, emailed you and it was quickly sorted so I too would vouch for the fact you do not take the money then quickly loose interest.

It does get to me when you read on the forums 'Want Help from an expert' but have little or no money to spend! 'Want free solution to...' 'Want help today' and moan when a couple of days go by! Trouble is they want cheap to build a membership site they hope to make money out of!!

The trouble is as well the Internet abounds with proclamations of how easy it is to construct web sites and make major amounts of money from them. They know nothing about running a website and expect it to all come together overnight without learning a bit of what goes on 'behind the scenes' type of thing.

When I started my site I knew little about web sites, except a bit of HTML. I took several months to construct it but also took the time to learn HOW it worked - PHP, aMember, mysql that as well as how the server I was using ticked.

No it is all to easy to expect everyone else to make their scripts fit in with a persons new website and then, when there is a conflict between any section of scripts, and as you say a ';' can break everything or two people using the same variable name in a program, they shout and moan; it's never their fault.

Oh and if you want a hand with the water, thats where I'm the expert. Thats my living over here. I don't mind popping over for a few hours to help. Australia aint that far from the UK is it?? Quick bus trip!!
  5. jenolan

jenolan aMember Coder

Ug .. $400 travelling from Bathurst for a 'expert' I think I would collapse from the old dart.

Anyway .. it is moving a fence, relaying pipes, reconnecting the house, and trying not to dig up the new underground main from the pole to the house. Nothing really interesting.

Back to the topic .. if it is broken I fix it .. sometimes :p you find it aint the bit that was bork'd
  6. jenolan

jenolan aMember Coder

Resolved the issue, seems that the aMember core is missing putting a parameter in the hook call. Took me a while but I finally beat the rascally wabbit .. so I am happy happy, joy joy, now where is that wabbit!
  7. skippybosco

skippybosco CGI-Central Partner Staff Member

shhhhh... be very very quiet..