Prorate A Membership

Discussion in 'Customization & add-ons' started by chucknb87122, Jun 19, 2003.

1. chucknb87122

chucknb87122 Guest

Hi,

Is it possible to prorate a membership to say the first of the month so that all renewalls occur at the same time. If this is possible how would it be done?

Thanks
  2. alex-adm

alex-adm Guest

Unfortunately, it is impossible.

And I have no idea when it may be useful...
  3. dscheff

dscheff New Member

This was a long time ago - is there any chance that there has been a module created for this? I want to be able to enter an initial payment mid-month and then have all recurring payments go together on the same day each month.

Thanks
  4. alex

alex aMember Pro Customer Staff Member

I really need to know WHY is it useful (to understand and implement this feature better).
  5. dscheff

dscheff New Member

It has to do with easing the administration of accounting. If all billing is done on the same day of the month every month (except the pro-rated new signups, of course) it substantially eases accounting administration costs.

For example, I use Moderbill for hosting and it lets you choose 2 from types of billing - either "Anniversary Mode", which is how amember works, where the billing cylce repeats on the anniversary date from the date of signup, or Monthly Mode, where the renew date will always land of the first of any given month, no matter the start date.

I do see in amember that you can MANUALLY enter the start date, and that would almost work if it could be made automatic, so that regardless of the date of signup by the client, they get billed starting the first of the following month. In that case, all that would be left to do would be find a way to collect the partial month owed from the signup date through the first automated monthly bill. It seems to me that the script for computing the partial month would not be too difficult.

( (Monthly Amount X 12) / 365 ) X (number of days in partial month) = Partial Month payment.

That amount would be charged at the time of signup. All other billing would occur on the first day of the month, every month, until the contract is ended.

I anxiously await your reply.

Dan

Thanks
    Dan
  6. alex

Dan,
    this is not implemented currently in aMember, but we will implement this in aMember 3 (will be released in 2006).
  7. dscheff

dscheff New Member

Alex

Could you give me a quote to get this done now?

Thanks
    Dan
  8. alex

Dan,please contact support and describe your EXACT task in a ticket.
  9. 121Books

121Books Guest

I just wanted to 2nd this idea. Users may also prefer to be billed on the 1st of the month. I'm looking forward to v.3

www.121books.org
  10. miso

miso aMember Pro Customer

Has this been implemented in aMember 3 at all?

Because I can't find it in the features, anywhere...

And all I need is to set a specific date of the year when all billing/renewals should be processed and pro-rate all the other signups from that date. Right now that set date field doesn't really help in the way I need it to work...
  11. jonkwpang

jonkwpang New Member

Pro-rated billing

Has this issue been addressed in amember?

How does one go about setting up a subscription for recurring payment with amember on a monthly basis? With payment starting from the 1st of the following month regardless of the date that the user signs up?

Thanks.

12. alexander

alexander Administrator Staff Member

This can be done as customization but will not be included in aMember 3 core. Some payment plugins will not support such setup, also, there is no way to create universal solution for all payment plugins.
  13. hpca

hpca New Member

I know this is a really old thread still referring v3 which we were never on, but something that could work as a really bad band-aid, even if it's just a product or two, is to reset your affected product first period to be the number of days from today until the end of month with the $amount reflecting your calculation. But one could argue that's "part of your accounting burden" (changing these every day).

Proration's also talked about in this post (Upgrade plugin with prorate) where I posted my formula to work of 30 days no matter what. My twist is also that we have a fixed amount to add to the calculation.
  14. laoniu

laoniu New Member

Some payment plugins will not support such setup, also, there is no way to create universal solution for all payment plugins.

dmacattack24 New Member

I do invoicing on the same day and also need to send a prorated invoice for the first month. A workaround for this is to create a single amember coupon code for the proper discount percentage that will reduce the first month bill by the proper amount. Set the coupon code not to apply to recurring bills. It is a little cumbersome but it works.
  16. caesar

caesar aMember Pro Developer Staff Member

It is possible to implement custom plugin that will handle such use case automatiacally. Unfortunately ability to do such customization depends on payment plugin you use. So it is custom solution for exact payment plugin, not common solution. In case someone interested in such feature please contact us in helpdesk ( https://www.amember.com/support ).