Customer upgrades?

Discussion in 'Customization & add-ons' started by brandon515, Jun 27, 2009.

1. brandon515

brandon515 Member

For what I have read it doesn't look like Amember has anything built in to handle a customer upgrading from one package to another. Is that correct?

How are people handling upgrades?

Any info, ideas & suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
    Brandon
  2. amadeus

amadeus Member

I would just make it a new product. Then, when creating that new product, have it require the previous product before allowing someone to purchase it.

In other words, you have "Product I" already, then you create "Product I Upgrade" ...and REQUIRE that the user already have purchased "Product I" before allowing them to buy "Product I Upgrade" ...make sense?

Actually would work quite well.
  3. brandon515

brandon515 Member

That's a great idea. I have the option to select the higher package, but I didn't think of creating an actual upgrade product for each package. That will work perfectly!

Thanks again,
    Brandon
  4. brandon515

brandon515 Member

If I do set things up this way, I am assuming that they will in fact have a subscription to 2 products. Is there a way to redirect them on login to the upgrade product, how would I accomplish that?

Thanks,
  5. davidm1

davidm1 aMember User & Partner

Larry at Jlogica has a plugin called "Kill Product" which cancels the prior product. This will work for billing that works on your server.

David
  6. brandon515

brandon515 Member

Very cool. Thanks for the link!

Quick question with either method. How do you guys handle the recurring billing? For example if a user purchases package A for $10 and then upgrades to pack B three months later for an extra $10 (which package B is normally $20), how do you handle the recurring fee?

7. miso

miso aMember Pro Customer

depends on your payment processor...
  8. brandon515

brandon515 Member

Authorize.net

I am referring to the best way to calculate the upgrade fee based on how long they have had their current subscription prior to purchasing the upgrade.
  9. davidm1

davidm1 aMember User & Partner

This would require a bit of customization to amember and the payment plugin. Suggest you send a tech support ticket to see if they can do it.

David