Problems with Membership Academy

Discussion in '3rd Party Service Providers' started by bilhector, May 18, 2009.

1. bilhector

bilhector New Member

I want to give a review of the Membership Academy and my unsatisfactory experience.

First, David was quick in trying to address my problem, and did the right thing by refunding my money, no questions asked. Good for him. Only if I could give an unqualified good review ...

The problem is that I couldn't get into his site to the see the premium content; there was a login problem that wouldn't allow me to stay logged in on premium content pages, but it would on the main member page. Without getting too lost in the weeds here ... there appeared to be some problem with sessions and cookies. I did a lot of trouble shooting and nothing worked. Based on what David wrote in an email to me, it seems like this problem does sometimes happen with his site.

Problems sometimes do happen with web apps and sites, that I know. BUT, my big problem here is that David is offering expert advice about products that he can't get to work reliably on his own site. That's not a great calling card, if you ask me.

I really needed (and still need someone's help) with ONE issue with a wordpress/amember install, so I was more than willing to pay for his service. I guess I'm glad I learned about this weakness without paying.

best,
    Bill
  2. codeispoetry

codeispoetry aMember Pro Customer

Hi Bill,

What help would you need with issues on Wordpress/aMember install?

Lee
  3. davidm1

davidm1 aMember User & Partner

Hi Bill,

I appreciate the feedback and will continue to try to track down the bug.
    In the meantime I made this video which explains how to overcome the error and get back in.
    http://www.membershipacademy.com/session-error/

Thanks,

David
  4. bilhector

bilhector New Member

David,

I tried that and it wasn't working like you demonstrated in your video. When I tried to log back in the second time the redirect page was not to the content page I was on, but instead to the logout page.

Bill
  5. bilhector

bilhector New Member

I sent you an email to your support email address .... where are you, Lee?
  6. codeispoetry

codeispoetry aMember Pro Customer

Hi Bill,

Have replied you ;)

Should've left you my email address on the forum. It's codeispoetry [at] amemberincremental.com, in case others on the forum should need it.

Cheers,
    Lee
  7. jenolan

jenolan aMember Coder

Everyone has problems with a site now and then, David must be the most proactive person I know if you have a problem stick with him one way or another he will solve the problem or call me to use the binary hammer.

Larry
  8. sapcookbook

sapcookbook New Member

disagree

I can give Membershipacademy my unqualified endorsement. I think your expectations are unreasonable. If you were hiring a $150/hr consultant, then you would be justified in your words. But you weren't. you were subscribing to an information service.

You sound klike a problem customer to me.

I think membership academy overdelivers on any promises made. It seems like you are trying to get something for nothing.

and you got what you paid for.

Truly, Jim Stewart
  9. sapcookbook

sapcookbook New Member

great job

David, I think you do a great job and your site exceeds any and all expectations. Keep up the fantastic work - don't let unreasonable, rude customers get you down.

10. powerkeys

powerkeys Member

I think what Bill is saying here is that he experienced technical issues with David's site, and this doesn't quite fit the image of someone who is an expert on setting up membership sites.

If someone is an expert at setting up membership sites, it logically follows that their own site will run perfectly. (As much as ANY site can run perfectly.)

I think that was the main point - as it casts a shadow on the quality of the advice to be found in the site itself.

It's like getting weight control advice from an obese person.
    Or financial advice from a bum on skid row.
    Or marriage advice from someone who has had 12 divorces.

People generally want their experts to have their act together.

Now, having said all that, it seems to me that David is doing what he can to track down the issue. It may be an incompatibility between the site and Bill's own computer, which happens quite often.

I continue to be amazed at how often a problem comes down to something on the customer's computer, or a firewall they didn't know was involved.

And these sort of issues happen even to the best experts around. The only way to deal with it is to inform your customer of the possibility and what you're willing to do to track down the specific issue THEY may be having with the site.
  11. davidm1

davidm1 aMember User & Partner

Turned out it was a glitch in the system. amember didn't copy over the members data to joomla, so although he was getting added to the amember system- he wasn't able to log into joomla.

These things happen, I try to fix them as quickly as possible and move on.

Thanks to everyone for your support!

David

Good analogy, but I'll give you one better :)
    Even Warren Buffet picks a bad company now and then. Not that i would put myself at that level!!!

David
  12. fadi

fadi New Member

I don't get the unsatisfaction thing... He replied, tried, and refunded your money cause you were not patient enough and unhappy...

If you waited a little, you would have had your issue resolved and your site is up and running. But because you wanted to make the point that you're not happy, you decided to delay your business? This "I am a customer so I am always right" is problematic :)

Time is money, and shit happens. I run multi million dollar software projects and I am yet to see a single software product I designed, built, or even used that does not break. Heck, my TV and Internet connection break from time to time.

By the way, I am not affiliated with David nor am I still a member. Not due to lack of information and tutorials as well as his constant help on his forum, but because I am an experienced developer myself I could figure out the remaining work I need done myself. His site has given me months headstart and answered so many of my questions and helped me define a path for my online business.

Go back, sign up (if he will take you back), and get the answers to get your business up and running rather than hold a grudge and try to prove a point by delaying your business.
  13. kengary

kengary aMember Pro Customer

Fadi,

I think you said this so well. I agree with you 100%.
  14. payne

payne New Member

Problems with BilHector

I want to give a review of the BilHector and my unsatisfactory experience.

First, Bill, as you said "David, was quick in trying to address my problem, and did the right thing by refunding my money, no questions asked. Good for him..."

That's called SMART BUSINESS...

"...Only if I could give an unqualified good review ..."

Who cares about your review?

"Problems sometimes do happen with web apps and sites, that I know. BUT, my big problem here is...that David is offering expert advice..."

This site is for aMember and not your place to slam David for your selfishness.

Quit your whining and get over it!

Payne