Display indexed public listings of members?

Discussion in 'Customization & add-ons' started by marcfuller, Nov 24, 2008.

1. marcfuller

marcfuller New Member

I would like to use amember for a trade association. Part of the benefit of membership in the association is a public index of members by service type with service description, contact info, links and avatar.

I have not seen this as a feature of amember and if it is not is this a possible customization of ameber? Is there someone in this forum who has experience in this type of customization?

TIA
  2. davidm1

davidm1 aMember User & Partner

Theres an unlisted plugin called memberlist that will list all your members.
    Ask tech support for it.

I would recommend however using a CMS system to do it- I know phpbb3 has that feature.

David
  3. marcfuller

marcfuller New Member

Thanks David! I appreciat the info about the plugin.

There are about a dozen different member types/categories so I think it will need some custom coding to get it to all display on new php/css pages.

Do you have recommendations for a person who could do this task with WordPress as the CMS?
  4. davidm1

I there a plugin for wordpress that does this already?

David
  5. miso

miso aMember Pro Customer

Yeah, there's a "memberslist" plugin that you can request through the tech support here...

But it doesn't differentiate groups and membership types - it simply lists members and whatever information you want of theirs displayed.

In order for that plugin to achieve what you're trying to do, it will take quite a bit of tweaking... but it can be done.

Then again, if you've got all your memberships/products mapped over to Wordpress through wordpress plugin, you could probably get this done easier through Wordpress itself.
  6. shotoshi

shotoshi Member

Mapping content from aMember into WordPress

This comment caught my eye...

I'm working on a new project using Word Press for which I will also use aMember, and I was wondering if the content from certain added fields in aMember can be mapped into WP as a draft post ?

The idea is to use aMember, not just to handle the transaction and manage subscriptions, but to post details directly into WP as a draft post.

In other words, using it to sell posts in WP.

Can this be done?
  7. davidm1

You could offer an "Author" or "Contributor" user role for wordpress which would allow them to post articles. I'm not sure how you could control the number of posts or category etc..

David
  8. shotoshi

shotoshi Member

Thanks David, but I want to keep people away from them WP admin screens as many of them will find it daunting.

Essentially I want to use aMember to capture their details and contents of fields over to WP from the aMember sign up interface. Kills 2 birds with the stone and then all I will have to do is check each post that has been 'ordered' and paid for and make necessary changes, categorise, tag it etc, then publish.
  9. miso

miso aMember Pro Customer

That would require a custom plugin... quite a bit of work, so I'd ask Alex if he would be interested in coding that first and foremost, and then look for alternatives... ;)
  10. breurmedia

breurmedia New Member

Indexed public listing of members

I'm currently doing a business directory with aMember and also need to show a public listing of active users in different membership categories.

So far my best solution is to do a query against the amember_members table, getting ALL records; then, in the display loop, I filter out all members except those who are active with qualified memberships. So far so good.

For me the display PHP code turned out as follows:

PHP:

<?
    mysql_select_db($database_members, $members);
    $query_memberData = "SELECT * FROM amember_members ORDER BY amember_members.name_l, amember_members.name_f, amember_members.business ASC";
    $memberData = mysql_query($query_memberData, $members) or die(mysql_error());
    $row_memberData = mysql_fetch_assoc($memberData);
    ?>
    <ul>
    <? do { ?>
    <?php $data = (array)unserialize($row_memberData['data']); ?>
    <?
            if (
        ($data['status']['1']==1 
        || $data['status']['2']==1
        || $data['status']['3']==1 
        || $data['status']['6']==1 
        || $data['status']['7']==1 
        || $data['status']['8']==1 
        || $data['status']['9']==1) 
        && $data['is_active']==1) {  
    ?>
            <li><?php echo $row_memberData['name_l']; ?><?php echo $row_memberData['name_f']; ?> - <?php echo $row_memberData['business']; ?></li>
    <? } ?>
    <?php } while ($row_memberData mysql_fetch_assoc($memberData)); ?>
    </ul>
    Probably not the most elegant solution, but fairly straightforward and easy to implement.

I have also created a separate "business category" table which I can join to an added "category" field in aMember for listings separated by category; I'm currently working on programming the admin to automatically update the pipe-separated list of options stored in the config table, but I have a way to go before figuring all of that out.

Best,

Arthur Breur
    Breur Media Corporation
  11. marcfuller

marcfuller New Member

Thanks Arthur!:)

I am back to this project now, and your info is very helpful. I'll share as it goes.