eFront eLearning (LMS) integration plugin

Discussion in 'Integration' started by skippybosco, Sep 29, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. deafdavid

deafdavid Member

Skippy and others -- once you resolved this, please start a new thread. I think 6 pages of this thread is pretty long :)
  2. skippybosco

skippybosco CGI-Central Partner Staff Member

@exeshop: Just to be clear, this is unrelated to your previous post regarding protecting the eFront directory correct?

The group feature is new to eFront so there is a chance there is some kinks to be worked out. What you are describing is that they missed a check in that you should not be able to assign a group a course lesson directly to a student outside of the course. As this behavior is unrelated to the aMember <-> eFront integration, I would suggest opening a bug in eFront or posting in the eFront Forums so the eFront development team can get it fixed for you.

@deafdavid: good call. sadly I have no magic thread locking powers. With the next revision of the plugin I'll start a new thread to try and divert some of the discussion to.
  3. exeshop

exeshop New Member

Skippy, Yes this is unrelated.

Once again, the problem is: user is created in amember, then he/she is subscribed to product (which have efront group and lessons and courses choosen). Then you login to efront via single login and all links displayed from lessons do not have /student.php but have /.php like we explain in previous posts.

When you manually correct /.php with /student.php everything is okay, but of course this is not normal procedure: )
  4. skippybosco

I've answered this over in the eFront Forums

To summarize:

5. skippybosco

After a bit of testing I managed to work out a solution to exeshops issue to prevent the url from not including the usertype (ie. student.php) in certain scenarios where course is assigned to a product.

I have updated the plugin attachment to include this minor patch. If you are not experiencing the problem it is not necessary to upgrade.

I'll be closing out this thread and introducing a new version of the plugin when eFront 3.5.4 is released in a few weeks. I hope to include rebuild db capabilities and incremental content support, among other things.

If you have any wish list items let me know now.

Thanks!
  6. exeshop

exeshop New Member

Does somebody noticed that single login of this latest plugin works for Mozilla Firefox and do not work on Internet Explorer?

We tested this on few computers and results are the same.
  7. skippybosco

There have been no changes to the single sign on function of the plugin for a while (very straightforward setcookie function)..

What version of IE are you testing with? I've tested with IE 7 and IE 8 against eFront 3.5.3 and it appears to work ok.

Can you you try clearing your IE browser cache, deleting all cookies and restarting the browser and testing again?

If you are still having problems, send me an email [my username here @ hotmail.com] with a link to your site and a test student userid and password to use so I can check it out.
  8. exeshop

exeshop New Member

Thank you Skippy, we will try this and inform.

We use IE7 with Vista. Tried it on several vista x86 and x64 machines and results are the same, it works in firefox and do not work in IE.

Maybe we need to enable some option in IE which is not default. As we test, single login in IE works for other plugins, just it doesn't work for efront. All other plugins are okay with IE.

We will test further.
  9. skippybosco

Are you doing anything such as hosting your aMember on a different domain that eFront? Subdomains are ok, but default browser security prevents setting a cookie on one domain for another domain.

Nothing special about how the plugin manages single sign on, it sets a couple of cookies using the standard PHP setcookie command (cookie_login and cookie_password) which is read by eFront to convert to a eFront user session.

Code:
    setcookie("cookie_login", $member[login],time()+3600,'/','.'.str_replace('www.','',$_SERVER['HTTP_HOST']));
    setcookie("cookie_password", md5($member[pass].G_MD5KEY),time()+3600,'/','.'.str_replace('www.','',$_SERVER['HTTP_HOST']));

Are you saying it worked with a previous version of the plugin but not the latest? That is odd. Either way, given your specialized environment you are better off emailing me directory ([my username here] @ hotmail.com) so I can get this sorted for you.
  10. nranjan

nranjan New Member

This might be of help to you.

BigGyan (Translation - Big Knowledge) is a cloud eLearning platform in the world. BigGyan enables education institutes and enterprises to provide eLearning to their students and employees.

Use BigGyan to augment your class, increase communication, answer questions, and provide research resources for your students. BigGyan provides a ready-made template for a course web site. It is easy to use and provides multiple interactive functions that can enhance the learning experience: e-mail, assessments, gradebook, discussion groups, etc. If you want a quick, easy and effective way to deliver course materials for a class, use BigGyan. You can try it for free, sign-up and get lifetime account today (http://www.biggyan.com).

What sets BigGyan apart from other eLearning providers is that it is a complete eLearning solution. It has revolutioned eLearning by making eLearning as easy as eMail.
  11. gregw

gregw New Member

Hi
    skippybosco
    Are you available to do work on a contracted (paid ) basis?
    I have a project involving WP + Amember + eFront.
    You have all the skills in these areas.
    PLEASE contact me to discuss. gregw@thetradingzone.com

Thanks
  12. skippybosco

Note: With the release of eFront 3.6 I have updated the aMember integration plugin to 1.0.
  13. linguaspectrum

linguaspectrum Online English Teacher

Invalid argument supplied for foreach() in line 60 of file efront.inc.php

I'd just like to say a great big thank you for this plugin. eFront is just what I was looking for.
    I installed everything as per instructions, but kept getting error messages of this type: Invalid argument supplied for foreach() in line 60 of file efront.inc.php on the aMember Products page.
    I eventually tracked it down to my eFront password. It contained some special characters.
    I thought I would mention it, as others seem to be having the same problem and this solution was not mentioned.
    I changed the password to numbers and letters only and everything works perfectly now.
    Richard
  14. skippybosco

Thanks for the tip Richard. I'll also go about seeing what I can do to encapsulate posts and gets better to allow for the use of special characters in the user/password/course/lesson names
  15. skippybosco

Working on a new version of the integration plugin to make room for some cool things coming.

Attached to this message is the latest version. While I have it running in a number of production environments, it is beta so test accordingly. I will be flushing out any reports over the next few days and will update the primary link to the new version once I'm satisfied it is running well for everyone.

Some notable points:

* 60% less code
    * runs 80% faster (makes use of cached tokens which reduces number of calls by 3/4)
    * rich error handling
    * better handling of escape characters in course / lesson / group names
    * selectable option on expire/delete to unenroll (delete history) student from course/lesson or to deactivate (keep history)
    * using CURL instead of FOPEN. If this is a problem (let me know), in a future version I will offer an option to switch between the two

Please let me know if you have any questions or difficulties.

(unzip attached files to amember\plugins\protect\efront directory)
  16. sarah23

sarah23 New Member

I hade the same problem with the special characters.
  17. skippybosco

@Sarah23: You may want to try the latest version of the plugin (v2b1 in above post) and see if that sorts out your special character issue. I still do not allow all characters (to prevent exploitation) but allow many more now. The new plugin is also 80% faster and has much richer error handling (aMember -> error/debug)
  18. drmartinjr3i

drmartinjr3i aMember Pro Customer

I am having the same issue... I am using eFront 3.6.2, and plugin version 1.0

I also noticed that there is no longer an api.php file in the plugin folder as described in the installation instructions. I assumed that whatever the reason for the overwrite file has been resolved in eFront, but I would like to confirm.

Any help the single signon function would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Gates
  19. skippybosco

@Gates: Yes this is correct, if you are running 3.6+ of eFront you no longer need to replace the api.php as I have committed the catalog functions directly into eFront.

In the long term, there are a couple of outstanding bugs to resolve being able to use special characters in passwords as well as course / lesson names:

http://bugs.efrontlearning.net/browse/EF-598
    http://bugs.efrontlearning.net/browse/EF-599

I want to have them sanitized on the eFront side to avoid having everyone that accesses the API to have to code workarounds.
  20. tentra

tentra aMember Pro Customer

Hi, skippybosco,

There is no API.php in "eFront aMember integration plugin 1.0.zip".

Could you send me API.php?

My email is tentra@yahoo.com

Sincerely,

JH
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.