eFront eLearning (LMS) integration plugin

Discussion in 'Integration' started by skippybosco, Sep 29, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. skippybosco

skippybosco CGI-Central Partner Staff Member

Some pretty major changes in the latest version of the plugin (.9 02/09/09)

1) You can now select multiple lessons and/or courses when associating products.
    2) Readme is updated with info on how to update to support usernames that start with numbers
    2) Readme is updated with info on how to have consistent logout between eFront and aMember

If you upgrade, be sure to check your existing products configurations since the lesson/course list is an array now instead of a single value.
  2. trevan

trevan New Member

Skippy,

I am within a week or so of completing a moodle/amember/1shoppingcart education site, but I've run into a few snags with moodle and you now have me questioning whether I should switch from moodle to efront.

1. What would I have to give up from moodle to go with efront?
    2. Are there themes with efront?
    3. Seems like efront doesn't have the flexibility in the types of questions that may be used that moodle has.

I just barely discovered efront in the wee hours of the morning, so more questions will probably arise.

Thanks,

Trevan
  3. allisonr

allisonr New Member

Thanks Skippy for the updated plugin.

I still am having issues and I feel kind of dumb at this stage :(

How can I get the amember login page for my product log directly into the efront area and bypass the efront login process.

On testing, the signup process goes well until the transaction is completed, then the redirect goes to the amember login page, then on entering the login details it redirects to the efront login page, which then requires you to login again.....this will confuse my customers.

I have the feeling it has something to do with a setting somewhere...
  4. gswaim

gswaim CGI-Central Partner

I have performed the Moodle/aMember integration and it works. As I have said in other posts, you must use the latest plug-in and integration instructions and you must follow the instructions explicitly for the least amount of "snags".

Maybe trying to also integrate 1shoppingcart has complicated the integration. Since aMember supports a wide array of CC processors why use 1shoppingcart? Unless you have a lot of products to sell I would say leave it out.

You are considering leaving the Moodle/aMember integration because of a few "snags". If you read this thread you will see that the eFront/aMember integration is not always snag free either. Any time you try to integrate two programs together there will be snags so you might as well get used to dealing with snags.

My opinion is you pick the best elearning platform for your site. Then work out ecommerce. Choosing the engine that will run a site based on the easiest elearning/ecommerce integration, in my humble opinion, isn't the way to do it.
  5. skippybosco

@Trevan:

1. That depends on what you are doing with Moodle. Just about any feature you could want in an eLearning system is in eFront. You can check out the full list of features to get an idea.
    2. Coming with a very modern web 2.0 look and feel, eFront also has drag and drop capability for changing design and layout as well as most all of the visuals being controlled via CSS and standard templating (header/footer ,etc) for complete flexibility.
    3. What types of questions are you looking to create? eFront has multiple choice, single choice, fill in the blank (short answer), matching, true false, and essay/development out of the box. It also is SCORM compatible so things like Hot Potatoes Quizzes or Articulate Quizmaker (for example) can be added in seamlessly.
    Let me know if you have any questions and I’ll do whatever I can. You can also check out the active community and docs over at their website. Features are pretty easy to get added (Devs are very active), you can check out where things are going in the roadmap

@allison

The integration is as easy as dropping the files in and activating, sounds like your eFront directory might be protected with .htaccess rule? The other option is if your aMember and eFront are on different domains (browser security prevents setting cookies across domains) email me at my username here @ hotmail.com with FTP / account info for aMember/eFront and I’ll take a look at it for you and get you going.
  6. exeshop

exeshop New Member

Skippy, I get this error:

WARNING: array_filter() [function.array-filter]: The first argument should be an array in line 208 of file check.inc.php

When added new user for products which have several courses enabled.
  7. skippybosco

exeshop, which version of eFront / aMember are you using?

Did you copy the api.php -> efront/www ?
  8. exeshop

exeshop New Member

Skippy,

Sorry, it seems that this is not related to efront plugin, I will investigate and reply in 5 minutes.
  9. exeshop

exeshop New Member

Skippy,

It is not, it was related to product options, we fixed it.

You done great job. This is big improvement for this plugin.

We want to donate 40$ for this, please send us your moneybookers email as we cannot use paypal. It will be great if others which uses this plugin want to donate for it. Hopefully this can be encouragment for you to finish rebuild db function of plugin!

Thank you again.

P.S. Others amember users which found this usefull, please donate skippybosco, for great job!
  10. skippybosco

exeshop, thanks for the kind words and offer.

If you need help for a one time import of your existing aMember users / payments into eFront I can help get that done for you (essentially what the rebuild would do for you, but via direct mySQL imports).

As far as donations, my work is not for profit. Please send all donations to the eFront team in form of licenses for the educational or professional versions of their products or in funding for future roadmap items.

I use an eFront/aMember combination on a number of sites and knw of at least a 100+ sites happily running the plugin. There are probably more, those are just the ones I know from emails I get. I have plenty of motivation to keep things moving along. I also am very active on the aMember and eFront forums so members like you provide a nice swift kick in the rear for me to get features like the multi lesson/course feature out sooner rather than later, thanks! :)
  11. trevan

trevan New Member

Skippy, Thanks for your response. I setup efront with amember today to check it out and it's slick- love the interface. It provides functionality that I was looking for in moodle, but it's just not there- thought I was going to have to live without it or create my own solution, so I'm glad to see that efront has some of those features.

I, too, really appreciate the tip and the plugin and instructions- good work!

I thought I had everything working seamlessly, but then noticed the following error at the top of the amember Edit Product/Subscription page- any ideas?:

WARNING: simplexml_load_string() [function.simplexml-load-string]: Entity: line 1: parser error : xmlParseEntityRef: no name in line 63 of file efront.inc.php
    WARNING: simplexml_load_string() [function.simplexml-load-string]: <items><item><id>1c</id><name>Course: [course name] in line 63 of file efront.inc.php
    WARNING: simplexml_load_string() [function.simplexml-load-string]: ^ in line 63 of file efront.inc.php
    WARNING: Invalid argument supplied for foreach() in line 65 of file efront.inc.php

I used the latest scripts & instructions (posted Monday morning).

Trevan
  12. skippybosco

I've been doing some digging in with various versions of PHP and was able to reproduce the issue with certain MYSql/PHP combination that returned a XML that was different than we were expecting.

While it is a non-critical issue, I've released a patch to the plugin that will address it for current (and future) versions of PHP and MySQL.

I've attached .9.2 to the first post in this thread which contains the fix. Don't forget to copy the api.php from the plugin to the efront\www directory.

This should nail it, but if you are still having problems, email me at my username here at hotmail.com and I will do everything that I can to get it working for you.
  13. trevan

trevan New Member

Yep, I checked out the other posts in the thread and did all of those steps. mind checking it out if I send you my info? I've checked and re-checked and I'm stumped...
  14. skippybosco

Trevan, Are you running the .9.2 I just updated? No problem checking, email me at my username here at hotmail.com.
  15. trevan

trevan New Member

Wow- you had another update! two in the same day? That did the trick- loaded the .9.2 files and the error is gone. Thank you Skippy!

Trevan
  16. skippybosco

Great, glad to hear you are up and running.

I typically don't spam folks with updates, especially for a compatibility bug, but since 4 people in 24 hours messaged me about it I wanted to get it out quick. If you have any suggestions as to how I can make it better just let me know (rebuild all is already in the queue)

If you have questions or feature requests for eFront, be sure to checkout the eFront forums:

http://forum.efrontlearning.net/

..as well as the module downloads page:

http://www.efrontlearning.net/download/modules.html

They have a number of nice (free) addon modules such as integrated Wiki, RSS feed viewer, etc.

For e-Commerce folks, there is even an ad module for monetizing your content.

I really think you'll enjoy eFront, it is a great powerful product built with user and admin ease of use in mind and a solid community supporting it.
  17. trevan

trevan New Member

Yeah, it really looks great.

OK, I think I spoke too soon. I forgot that while troubleshooting, I had disabled the efront plugin. As soon as I re-enabled it and went in to edit a product, I got the errors again. I'll contact you via email...
  18. trevan

trevan New Member

OK, so for the sake of documentation, skippybosco discovered that I had used an illegal character '&' in the name of my course, which blew up the script.

Thanks Skippy!

Trevan
  19. skippybosco

No problem. I have updated the documentation and readme to include this to save others the hassle. In future versions I'll see if I can code around that by encapsulating the names of the lessons/courses within the XML somehow.
  20. skippybosco

Made a small update to the plugin today for single signon when using a certain version of PHP with aMember on one domain and eFront on subdomain.

It's a rare condition, but better to handle it as an update than multiple one-off requests.

If you are having difficulties with single signon between aMember and eFront working (ie. signon to aMember and get auto signed on to eFront) you may want to upgrade to the latest version.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.