Could amember protect remotel servers' area?

Discussion in 'Pre-Sales Questions' started by bluetrain, Sep 26, 2007.

1. bluetrain

bluetrain New Member

I'm having a headache as how to protect my files from leeching. Since the bandwidth on my main server is limited. As visitors grow, I plan to buy server B and C besides my main server A.

So could amember protect the content from server B or C that allows customers to access them from main server A and no where else? If it's possible, what are the requirements on the server B or C? just use .htaccess or they need to have PHP too?

Ex: Server A streaming video files (open link, no hidden) from remote server B using joomla, vb whatever. Once the visitor access the member area, they will know the link, would they be able to access it without login into amember?

I hope I'm not too confused here. Last but not least, will amember have some kind of downloading/streaming limit per hour/day?
  2. story

story New Member

I have a similar situation - I worked with a coder who solved the problem. Could never find a solution in aMember. URL could easily be hotlinked, or stream captured.

Everything was Windows media streaming. The programmer modified an ASP script he found somewhere to do the job and it worked nicely for 3 years. It had to do with logging IP & user / password, copying the stream to a different hard drive, assigning it a new name, then cron script ran to clean up files off the temp drive. That is my basic understanding - I am not a programmer.

Now, I have all of the php / config / cron files - and am missing the ASP!!!

And I'm looking for someone to solve this dilemma.

(All my subscribers are out of luck right now and it's been a couple of weeks that streams have been down. I'm happy to share with you further details inasmuch as I understood how this worked. Also will let you know if I find someone to do the job - or start over and redo it.)
  3. bluetrain

bluetrain New Member

From customer perspective, what hesitate them to buy is buying from non-updated non-response product. This isn't support question, it's pre-sales, and I'm disappointed to not see any amember developer to reply to my question. In vb website, they response to every single pre-sale questions within hours.

I don't like window server Micheal, but yes I've heard that could be easily done using streaming server.

I still don't know why it's not possible to archive with amember. If server B or C is install some kind of "script" that communicate with the main server, then what we need could easily be achieved.

If you can find someone to do this in PHP server, then we could chip in and do it together. I'm still want to try out amember, but right now I guess I'll hold of the purchase.
  4. alexander

alexander Administrator Staff Member

This is possible with amember_remote plugin. It allow to protect files on other servers and work through XMLRPC.

php required in order to use it.
  5. story

story New Member

bluetrain:
    I've used amember for a few years now and have to say that Alex's customer support is excellent. I think the team there is small is the problem. But I highly recommend amember from my experience with the product itself.

I've only had to put in at most 4 or 5 support tickets in these years -- and it was never any problem with amember - it was always questions about how to modify for my needs.
  6. bluetrain

bluetrain New Member

Thank you, I'm going to give it a try. PHP on remote server is not a problem at all.
  7. teenbaby

teenbaby New Member

Alex is excellent at helping you out

Hi:

Very true,..Alex is excellent at helping you out.

I have also used Amember for a few years and Alex has always helped out.

From giving me lice to try out ssh connections to anything I have requested for his product.

Thank you Alex!
    Zon
  8. jazzedge

jazzedge Member

I -think- this would work as well:

setup subdomains:

serverA.yoursite.com
    serverB.yoursite.com
    serverC.yoursite.com

Have member login at ServerA, set a cookie (.yoursite.com) and read that cookie on the other servers.

Not super secure but might work for someone.