Will aMemberPro work with Joomla/VirtueMart ??

Discussion in 'Pre-Sales Questions' started by tcraw1010, May 10, 2007.

1. tcraw1010

tcraw1010 New Member

I believe I saw a plugin for Drupal CMS, but I am wondering if aMemberPro will work with and/or can be integrated into a Joomla CMS + VirtueMart eCommerce site.

TOM
  2. tony121

tony121 New Member

Yeah, aMember works nicely with Joomla. We use it at 121books.org. You'll need the Joomla plug-in, and/or the Community Builder plug-in if you're using CB.

I don't think aMember interacts with VirtueMart. VM is a native component so everything should work fine. Your members will need to join via aMember. aMem will register them in Joomla; VM uses the Joomla tables so your good there. aMem also has a customized Login module that you can use just like the normal Joomla one.
  3. tcraw1010

tcraw1010 New Member

What if I need specified membership levels to correspond with specified elements of the site - such as special discounts, access to information, access to various functions, etc? If aMember is only integrated with Joomla, how will the payment system work - standalone ?? (In other words, there is no way to send it through the VirtueMart cart payment processor?)

I do see that you use AuthorizeNet for your payment system. I believe VirtueMart works with AuthorizeNet as well (if I'm not mistaken).

Maybe I'm making this more complicated than it is.

4. draj

draj New Member

Hi!
    If you require different groups to which several access areas must be allowed through amember, then joomla is wrong selection in view of memberships levels i.e. groups.

Joomla is very restricive in groups which is the main erason why thousands of people are not using it.

For this, I advice to use Drupal or Xoops if you find respective modules you are looking for.

Further, amember does not interface with any carts and for logical reasons it cannot. All it does is to enter the username, passwords and a couple of more data in integrated plugins. Thats all. Thereafter it also does modification of those fields.

However, if one wants, it is not a great problem to Hach the plugin and extend it to a level that it enters data into other tables.
  5. tcraw1010

tcraw1010 New Member

So, I would suppose that aMember is (for all intents and purposes) a stand-alone "cart" of it's own in terms of accepting membership level payments. In other words, one would have to utilize a payment system such as AuthorizeNet separately with aMember?

Again, the question then becomes how to assign the various access/ability levels to the respective paid members.

TOM
  6. tony121

tony121 New Member

7. draj

draj New Member

Hi!
    Are you aware of aMember > Joomla plugin for community builder that it DOES NOT work with paid subscriptions?

To use community builder + amember plugin, one CANNOT USE the paid subscriptions.

To use paid subscriptions, one MUST use joomla plugin and stick to the limitation of groups available in joomla.

Or please explain your new theory of integrating community builder with amember for paid subscriptions and how do you suggest to make it work?

Hence due to this, I suggested to use Drupal or Xoops. Xoops is blocked in development and therefore Drupal is the sole winner in todays date!!!
  8. danayel

danayel New Member

CB doesn't allow multiple Joomla groups. You are thinking of JACL.

What is the use of having an aMember community builder plugin if it doesn't accept paid subscriptions?
  9. jomaco1

jomaco1 New Member

We use the 1shoppingcart plugin with our amember/joomla site. We use JBAM to create user access groups and the AGS component from mambobrothers will do the same thing. We made a JBAM amember plugin so we can assign JBAM groups to products. We also made a DocMan plugin so we can assign DocMan groups to products. There is also a SMF plugin which we use as well.

The bottom line is that Joomla IS suitable as a CMS to be used with amember and plugins make it possible to tie everything together without hacking core files.
  10. draj

draj New Member

Hello!

Very correct. Why to use if it does not give groups feature?

Well, I have heard that the plugins of Joomla i.e. Like ACL and JBAM are not really excellent designed and could be a problem. However only experts could tell more about this.

Thats why I see that Drupal is a perfect solution for everything and moreover Drupal has a century-long tradition of having very popular and famous sites built out of it.

I find Joomla to be much better if one wants to use really all other features other than a complex grouping system or publishing contents based on really very bacis permission system. Here drupal is not that bad but has a disadvantage of a "White-Page-Display" anytime as well as difficult to configure.

Xoops has an excellent groups system and is very intuitive. However there is not much happening in terms of core development, which is put to an ice-cold hold, until the core team comes up with something better.

Here Drupal offers a sound development environment, excellent features, water-tight permission system, enormous flexibility, etc, which remained the only choice of many investors like Seuqual Capital to invest min. 5 million dollars, or some of the biggest magazines, etc...