Discussion in 'Pre-Sales Questions' started by jocke72, Apr 23, 2007.

1. jocke72

jocke72 New Member

I have multiple sites on different servers with different domain names.

I wish to have the option to sign up at one site and get access to at least one more site automatically. Is this possible? How do I set it up in such case?

Thanks!

/Jocke
  2. draj

draj New Member

Hi!

The User registration, modification and deletion data is populated to ALL integrated plugins databases, however the browsers DOES_NOT allow common cookies on different sites.

Only one cookie for a particular site/domain specific is passed on by the browsers.

For your information, http://Domain.com and http://www.Domain.com ARE different domains that could be directed on different IPs!!!
  3. jocke72

jocke72 New Member

Hi!

So what you're telling me is that it's not supported?

One could think of a SSO (Single Sign On) solution, but I guess that's not implemented and perhaps never will be?

For my purposes it would be ok if they needed to login again to the other sites. What I would like is to update the MySQL database on the other site. Wouldn't that be enough? Then the same information would be available in both instances of aMember. Possible?

Thanks!

/Jocke
  4. draj

draj New Member

Hello!
    Single-Sign-On means single logins between different softwares/systems on the same domain, to my knowledge. However in this fast changing world, I could be wrong...

This is a restriction, again to my knowledge, from the browser itself and has nothing to do with aMember.

Integration of aMember means populating all the relevant user data into all the plugins databases in mysql.

If you have Xoops, Joomla, Drupal, etc on THE SAME DOMAIN then aMember will shoot the registratin data into all these systems. Thereafter when a User logs in, the sessions data will be also shooted in the mysql database into ALL the cms.

Changing the domain, may be the user have to log in again to obtain a new cookie for the browser to interact with the client pages to track them with the new cookie.
  5. jocke72

jocke72 New Member

Yes, you're quite right. My fingers were too fast for my brain. :)

SSO only works in the same domain, without going thru a proxy.

Scenario:

"User X creates an account at Domain A on Server A.
    An addon software synchronizes the MySQL db on Domain A with another aMember installation db at Domain B with Server B. The fileprotection structure is the same at both sites, the installation of amember on both sites are identical.

When User X tries to logon on Domain B he will have an account there as well, with the same file protection setup."

Yes or No?

I suppose this should work if aMember keeps everything in it's MySQL db.

Thanks!

/Jocke
  6. draj

draj New Member

Hi!
    I have a feeling that you are not clear in the conceptual understanding of aMember. Do try to understabnd the design how it works BEFORE getting into nightmares.

Creating an account in aMember _IS_NOT_SPECIFIC_TO Server A to Z or Domain A to Z! First you may try to understand the concept of this software. The docs in this regards are very clear but not explainatory enough for several such questions.

"An addon software synchronizes": If you want to invite troubles of operating an extra software parallel to aMember, where User Data is incoming and getting added to aMember as a Slave database, then I assure you of having nightmares.

User A creates an account in aMember database residing on a Server, which and whatever you may call, lets say Server_aMember. This should be the Master Database. You need only one installation of aMember conducting a central registration and account maintainance system.

Then when he tries to log in through this master database, the sessions data will be entered in all the tables of the integrated databases residing on different servers, databases and tables.

About the "The fileprotection" you mention, I cannot participate in this discussion as I have no experience.

What is unclear is: "installation of amember on both sites"! Are you talking about having two installations of aMember?

Well, User X tries to logon on Domain A, or B, or C, or D, or E, or until Z, he will find his account EVERYWHERE on all the domains on all the servers.

In this concept of aMember, it is not very easy to use anathor software to add members/users to aMember database. I find the design of the $member[data][status] really shity. This ugly, binary, unsearchable field fills in some data from other tables and simply duplicates the subscriptions. So you are handicapped with sticking with aMember scripts and cannot sysncronise the users pouring from other software.
  7. jocke72

jocke72 New Member

No, I don't have a clear understanding. Hence the questions... ;)

A synchronization software was only a suggestion as I didn't know that aMember would do what I require..

But, judging from your answer, it sounds like aMember supports what I need right out of the box: Register at one site and getting access to many.

You're referring to aMember Master Database, I've read the FAQ and the manual and haven't found any reference to this. You got any more info or link on the subject?

Fileprotection is used by using the "Protect Folders" feature.
    There is only one product registered.

I don't know how the htpasswd file is updated, but I suppose that it doesn't contain any usernames and handles access in some other way? In such case I guess your suggested approach should work.

Appreciate your time and input.

Thanks!

/Jocke
  8. draj

draj New Member

Hi!
    I saw aMember before several years when it was launched first. The description was really so primitive and the scripts were really very basic.

Today, I saw and understood after several years what Alex have been trying to do.

I find it ridiculous that he came up with such a nice and creative solution and does not prepare many documentation to project the conceptual quality and design aspects.

Hence, I thought of helping some users - within my capacity - of time. So the term "Master Database" has been coined by me and there are no available links. However, if you want to be more confused, I am willing to send a list of aMember-Wiki-Links.

If you need a CMS and a members management solution that could also interface with other php scripts, then you could use aMember "Out of box" for it, provided there is a ready plugin for it.

Plugin means "Integration Out-of-box"!

Based in Russia, I beleive there may be difficulties i english documentation. If a plugin is not listed, then you can also delevop one, like I did.

I integrated my database which interfaces cgi and no php! Its just a user record that gets in the mysql database. Thats all. Then integration works on a different domain that uses cgi!!!

Other question would be beyond my reach to answer due to lack of experience and use.
  9. jocke72

jocke72 New Member

Hi!

Yes! Please send me some links to Wikis! I love confusion.... :D

Thanks again for your input!

/Jocke
  10. draj

draj New Member

Hi!

Relating to your Pre-Sales question on the plugins, there is just ONE LINE and that directs to the list of plugins. You can see it here:
    Integration plugins, how it works, do I need any?

I just wonder what people would do with aMember and without any plugins? Well, everyone needs them and thats what is aMember about!!!

More on Introduction_to_Integration_Plugins

IT IS A MYSQL DATABASE-BRIDGE to manage User-Data!

Alex should have written much more. Also on the front-page, it does not give a very clear idea. Hence the buyer remains not very clear and the very fundamentals of the concepts does not come across...
  11. alex

alex aMember Pro Customer Staff Member

jocke72, we have a beta of "aMember_Remote" script that can authenticate customers on remote websites. It takes username/password from customer, and validates is by accessing "master" aMember installation (internally, by HTTP).

However, it is necessary that customers will signup on one website, where "master" aMember script installed.
  12. draj

draj New Member

HOIIII Alex!

Well, well, thats great. I would be interested in that. Similar to cerberus.

May I beta test it?

I shall send a ticket for this.

Ofcourse I will use a central registration system but am thinking to use a couple of different domains for different CMS and this will solve the problem.

Thanks,
  13. olliejames

olliejames aMember Pro Customer

Alex,

I would be very much interested in that as well, because I have different sites that are ok to run through one amember installation for the payment, but then it would be great if we could on the remote site have a form like on the amember site.

So if possible I would like to try and test it as well.

tnx