file security for .swf and .flv files

Discussion in 'Pre-Sales Questions' started by billrinehart, Sep 3, 2006.

1. billrinehart

billrinehart New Member

hi
    i understand that amember will provide protection of my files behind a password protected folder but what about the files that are downloaded to the cache of a users machine? can't the user just open those files and then use them locally? my site uses .swf files and .flv files (flash video files) which can't be altered with php code. doesn't this leave these files vulnerable to users (albeit paying users presumably) from just downloading them from my server?

thank you

btw: i have been uable to get the ticket system to work.
  2. alex

alex aMember Pro Customer Staff Member

If user can see page/file in the browser, he can save it. No exceptions. Any SERVER-SIDE protection is completely unable to prevent this.

You can only encrypt your files somehow, and show it to customers via special viewer (or use Microsoft DRM).
  3. jmaduk

jmaduk Member

Here's an example of what Alex is talking about....

If you'd like to see a working setup of amember/joomla/and windows Media with DRM visit my site at http://www.onlinesellinguniversity.com Alex and Amember work flawlessly :)

Amember is used to protect the lic. keys for the videos. The billing is done monthly or yearly and the videos for each course have a 30 day lic. This way amember can keep track of who has access to a lic and I don't have to worry about customers/visitor downloading the files, in fact I encourage it. This setu also allows for recurring monthly billing. If the subscription stops, the access to the lic key stops.

James
  4. billrinehart

billrinehart New Member

hi james

thank you for the reply- will your system (joomla, windows media drm) work for flash files (.swf) and streaming video (.flv) files?
  5. logert

logert New Member

This is very interesting. I did a search on Windows Media with DRM but could not find if this software will run on a Linux server. Do you know if it will?

*If it can be used on Linux, then...

How can you tie in Windows Media with DRM to license video content based on the amember script. For instance I have recurring billing on my site and would love to provide each member their own license for video files that stays active as long as they are current members. How can this be done with amember so that the process is automated?

Thank you!
  6. jmaduk

jmaduk Member

3rd party drm protection

amember protects a link to the drm lic which is hosted by a 3rd party. If you setup your drm to the minimum time period you can do recurring payments.

For example

my licenses at http://www.mysmallbiz.com last for 30 days. After that the user needs to login to retrieve a new license. If they have an active u and p in amember then they can acquire a new lic. If their membership has expired they are not able to acquire the new license andthe file won't play.
  7. lauraparis

lauraparis New Member

If user can see page/file in the browser, he can save it. No exceptions. Any SERVER-SIDE protection is completely unable to prevent this.

Hi, I don't see a response to this. I don't see how amember can prevent this, which of course will lead to distribution by email and loss of income!

Even with license access, how can amember prevent this, or can it?
  8. chronoshift

chronoshift Member

You cannot protect picture or video media... heh... not even with DRM

Someone can easily record/re-encode a DRM protected video file to have NO protection on it whatsoever.

There is no way to stop this...
  9. calisolllc

calisolllc Member

Amember NOR ANY OTHER subscription system can protect your files from PAYING users, abusing that subscription, there's NOTHING that displays on a screen that you can't copy, even if you actually are forced to record the screen with a capture tool (still or video).
    It's designed to keep out the NON paying users but it cant stop a paying one making copies and distributing them
    As for loss of income ..... nobody that steals files BUYS them anyway, so, little business actually is lost.
  10. mark_bedell

mark_bedell Banned

Security video course, Online training videos, Wireless Integration by Shon Harris

hey thanks guys lovely discussion great work

Security video course
  11. ptc4hc

ptc4hc New Member

thanks guys good work :), it's helpful for me :x