AJAX Forms, Validation, Database Entry, Enhancements...

Discussion in 'Customization & add-ons' started by jaston, Aug 1, 2006.

1. jaston

jaston New Member

Has anyone developed any AJAX validation, database entry, or user feedback scripting enhancements for use with aMember?

If not, does anyone know how you'd go about doing it, or if you know of any resources that would help me develop AJAX enhancements?

Thanks,

Joe
  2. joe_asto2

joe_asto2 New Member

I've found several bits of code that could be adapted for use in aMember. Once I figure out how to implement them I'll post them here.
  3. nandonakis

nandonakis New Member

Did you make any progress on this? I am about to undertake the same thing.
    For example, even checking the username, which amember does by popping up an external window, should be easy to do inline?

4. draj

draj New Member

Hi!
    I have developed the country/states/cities dropdown as dependent dropdown with Ajax. So there are about 5.000 entries in the table that it fetches and loads each time a dropdown has a selection.

Recently, I plan to expand it to about a few hundred thousand entries of countries, states and cities.

Currently, I am also working with Tabs, JQuery and itsimplementation i.e. to interface aMember with other CMs using Ajax.

This means that all the necessary details required by each and every CMS would be handled by Ajax and aMember pro, like employment profile, dating profile, etc. Currently it is not possible. So those profiles would be shown in Ajax based tabs and forms.

Just to see that the speed how aMember is developing and the features incoming, I am extremely disappointed. I wish that Alex would be in a position to develop it faster, however I do not and never did complain. It is indeed sad to see that not many declared the need of Ajax here in aMember and also Alex slept until now.

Just sat down and thought of doing it myself.
  5. alex

alex aMember Pro Customer Staff Member

draj as I said it is already developed:
    1. AJAX state/country select on signup / profile / cc payment / admin user form.
    2. AJAX unique login checking in signup form

I'm sorry for delaying the beta for such long time. We are making some fundamental changes right now, and I would like to make it in one release, so peoples don't have to rework templates every 2 months.
  6. draj

draj New Member

Hi Alex!
    You fail to realise that you designed a wonderful piece of software conceptually speaking, but do not use the latest technology and offer to the clients.

Todays trend on the internet is Web 2.0.

So you plan to implement Ajax only in the country/state, which I find it further truely sad.

Had you implemented a general approach of application Ajax as a class, from which we could use it for more functions, it would be helpful. An easier way would have been to capture a GPL Ajax scripts, which could be integrated into a commercial license, and use it for aMember functions.

So I cannot really depend on a code based on restrictive programming like Ajax working _ONLY_ for countries and states.

If I use Ajax, then I need to use javascripts integration in a sync. or async. manner. Here, I cannot use and load one javascript for countries and thereafter load an extra javascript to run tabs based Ajax browsing. And then I need a third javascript to run certain functions to make the forms look beautiful! This system of work does not work.

If one uses Ajax base, then it should work for many conditions as the integration requires certain bytes useage in each page of javascripts. One each page, I would not go higher than about 20KB - 30KB for the integration of Ajax. By using JQuery or Xajax, one can get Ajax dependent dropdowns, tabbed browsing, etc working without ease.

I am however against JSON as it got detected by Hackers and is vulnerable since the last few months i.e. due to cross-site scripting vulnerabilities. Hence javascripts _NOT_ using JSON are interesting to use.

So your clients will be hanging with your restrictive code of Ajax based on countries & states and they will not be able to use the Ajax technology of responsing methods you designed for other functions.

Get my point?
  7. alex

alex aMember Pro Customer Staff Member

1. Signup process PHP code (which was result of long evolution and is now a complete mess) will be completely reorganized, so it will make AJAX implementation lot easier.
    2. However, we don't plan to make AJAX-based signup as main method of signup. I would be happy to do that, and it is actually not hard to do, but we have to be as compatible as possible.
    3. There is JQuery integrated into aMember in this version.
  8. draj

draj New Member

Hi!
    Vow, that means I should stop further development in regards to what I am doing! Thats atleast good news!!!

I and the developers of Xajax are having troubles to integrate Xajax with some more async. responses as there are added problems due to smarty. We have come a bit forward and Xajax is working fine but when more Ajax gets togather, then there are conflicts. For instance:

I had to unbind (JQuery) the div tags but then gave it up to get certain other things working. Also there are problems of using $.xxx with other scripts!

Now, if you plan to use JQuery, I fail to understand why you do not apply tabbed browsing like thickbox and make Ajax calls? So one can make config like if amember_tabs = 1, show Ajax_JQuery_template.html or otherwise not.

If set yes, then the form will shrink and become smart.

Then you can apply:

?modal=true

for this application see following:

http://www.Microsoft.com

Here the aMember pop-up could make a modal and divert to their respective domain for the login!

I _DO_NO_ see any sense to make amember logins on the domains where amember is installed! The logins will work _ONLY_ with remote domains_DB.

So one can make a smart logins system. From any of the plugin_remote_db, one can click on the login href and generate a modal, make the user login into that particular domain. T

Thats what I wanted to implement and it will look smart...

Further, after achieving tabs from a thickbox like system, one can make categories of tabs like amember_dating_profile_field_01, amember_dating_business_field_01. Those data could be shooted into different CMS.
  9. deafdavid

deafdavid Member

Can someone explain what they talking about in plain language? I am trying to learn and want to take advantage what will be offer in the near future -- but I don't understand what Alex and Draj talking about. And how does this will benefit all of us (Administrator without programming background) who use aMember? Sorry to ask.
  10. draj

draj New Member

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ajax_(programming)
    http://ajaxpatterns.org/wiki/index.php?title=Main_Page

http://java.sun.com/developer/technicalArticles/J2EE/AJAX/
    http://www.w3schools.com/ajax/default.asp

This means that if you select the dropdown of countries, then the dropdown of states will be shooted dynamically _WITHOUT_ refreshing or reloading the browser page.

Currently, you have to program all the countries, statess & cities in the signup/modify forms. So if you have half a million cities in that dropdown, it will generate a million centimeters long dropdown.

Here is a dependend dropdown required.

So a user chooses the country and only the related stated will be shown. Thereafter on further choice, related cities will be shown.

Now this page will have a minimun half a million lines of programming of cities generated from the database. This is terrible. So one needs to fetch it from the mysql amember database dynamically. So if you get the related cities, how do you show it?

With the help of Ajax. Here Ajax technology dynamically _UPDATES_ and the user will not even see the change as the browser will _NOT_ reload. Further, this becomes faster as well. You could have a lot on information that could be dynamically updated.

The same applies to other technological aspect. You can beautify the forms, make them shrink in smaller parts so that they do not generate a very long page. Understand?

You could also read a bit from the links above. They alse have examples and have an idea of what could be done. Hope this helps...