Google crawls

Discussion in 'Pre-Sales Questions' started by tdotson, Jan 29, 2005.

1. tdotson

tdotson Guest

Just wondering ... if I limit web pages to member-only viewing, will Google crawl those pages? Can the content in them be displayed in Google? Ideally I'd like to see something like ************ does ... provide a short display of what was found, but not allow someone to read the whole thing without registering.

Tim
  2. alex

alex aMember Pro Customer Staff Member

It is possible and very easy to implement. However, aMember has no idea about your content and of course, it cannot display "short description" without your (and your programmer) help. If your programmer asks me how to do it, I will describe.
  3. andcax

andcax New Member

Non-protected short description

Hello Alex,
    I have found this thread and describes exactly what I was looking for. While looking around for different membership software, I actually found that amember meets all the requirements, but the "short description" form. I have not bought amember yet because I'm struggling with this trouble. This is a vital feature to me and as you said: "It is possible and very easy to implement". I'm currently using ArticleManager as CMS.
    http://interactivetools.com/products/articlemanager , and I wanted to get exactly the same than the following url:
    http://www.juniorsoccercoach.com/members/login.cfm?hpage=485.cfm

As you can see, and without being a subscriber, you can read a short description of this article as well as the "title tag".
    So, as a summary, I wanted to ask you for a solution to:
    - Keep the same url when a protected article comes up.
    - Showing a short description of the article, without logging into the system.
    - Assign the title (or any other Meta tag) to this non-protected page.

I'd much appreciate your help, I wanted to know how difficult is this to get done.
    Many Thanks,
    Andrew
  4. alex

Andrew,
    it will be better to find an CMS that can show titles to non-registered members, and full articles for registered members.
    http://www.amember.com/integration.php

Then, using aMember and corresponding integration plugin, you will be able to get subscribers automatically registered in the CMS script, and remove from it when subscription expires.
  5. andcax

andcax New Member

Hi Alex,
    This is not the kind of answer that I need, it's nearly impossible to move the content into another CMS, and I rather don't want to do it, because I'm very happy with it. You early said that "It is possible and very easy to implement", "it cannot display "short description" without your (and your programmer) help".

I need this feature working before buying amember, and my programmer can work together with you to get this job done. or even better, why do not code a plugin for article manager 2? I guess more people will have the same problem that I'm having.
    Many Thanks,
    Andrew
  6. alex

Of course, it is possible - just contact us via helpdesk.
  7. microlinx

microlinx aMember Pro Customer

Andrew, I checked out ************ and WOW! talk about overpriced!
    After looking at that, people will realize that aMember is an incredible bargain!
    It's always possible to do anything...it just takes a bit of thought.
  8. deafdavid

deafdavid Member

I agree. So far this is one of few second web-based membershipw I found. They're overpriced -- even for us, we are a very small organization. With aMember, they provided basic core, however, we can add third-party software (i.e. Pluglist, shoppingcart, etc) at no cost or little fee -- this match or exceeded ***********.

Don't see ********** allows other third party software.

One BIG advantage using third-party software, they are always upgraded and we can simply upgrade our plug-in third party software. So, being said, I think third party always come up with more functions and/or features than **********.

There are few features ********** offered I need -- hopefully aMember will provide them soon.

Dave
  9. davidf

davidf New Member

I don't think it's fair to say ******* is overpriced. It is far more superior than aMember and offers a complete all in one solution. That is why it's priced so highly.

They also do different task, aMember is great for securing folders, is easy to install and has a lot to offer for it price. The support is also great.

******* offer a complete solution to running a membership site, it offers everything and the support is outstanding. You get what you pay for with *******.

I use both ******* and aMember for my sites, they are both excellent in there own right.

It would be good to see some of features built into aMember.

Regards
    David
  10. Sergei

Sergei aMember Pro Customer

Uhm, ******* is cfm not PHP so comparing apples with pears here.